Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stimulus check

I'm amending my returns for year 2020.

Turbotax asked me if I received stimulus checks 1200 + 600. 

I selected yes, and now I'm due 1800 $ for federal. And Turbotax is asking me how do I want to pay it, by check or transfer!!

Do we really have to pay the stimulus back ? What I'm doing wrong?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Stimulus check

If it asked you if you received the stimulus check for 2020 and you said YES that you received it, you cannot get it again.    Please re-read the questions in Federal Review.  Did you receive the stimulus money for 2020?  Did you get a check for $1200?  How about the second one for $600?  If you already received those checks you cannot get that money twice.

If you did NOT receive the stimulus checks for 2020 you should be answering NO to the question about whether you got the EIP (stimulus) money.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Stimulus check

I did receive the money. 

But when I select yes, I'm now due 1800$, and Turbotax wanted me to write a check of 1800$ to submit it with my returns. 

So why do I need to pay it back ?

Stimulus check

Please explain further.  What exactly are you doing?   Are you preparing an original 2020 return using the downloaded 2020 software?   If so, what else are you entering on the 2020 return?  What kind(s) of income?

Or are you amending a 2020 return that you already filed?  And....if you are amending....what did you change?    

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Stimulus check

I'm amending my 2020 return using Turbotax Online. 

I'm just changing my status from Single to Married Filing Separately (MFS). 

In 2020 I filed single as my wife is not living in USA, never visited. But I've been told to amend my status to MFS.

That's the only change. 

So during the amend process in Turbotax, it asked me if I received the stimulus, I checked yes, and then it showed I owe 1800 $ federal, and Turbotax wanted me to write a check when I submit my amend. 

Stimulus check

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

Customer support is available from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Pacific time daily

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies