Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

Stimulus check question

So I filed as single but “someone can claim me” my mom Informed me a couple weeks ago that she was unable to claim me this year even though I am a full time student and she filed as single instead of head of house hold. 

will I get the stimulus check? I’m just confused on how this will work! 

thank you! 

3 Replies
Expert Alumni

Stimulus check question

You will need to amend your return to declare yourself independent.


First, make sure you really need to amend and that your 2019 return was accepted in TurboTax Online or paper-filed through the mail. You can't amend a return that hasn't been filed yet.

  1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. Scroll down to Your tax return & documents (you may need to select Show), select 2019 and then Amend (change) return.
  • If you only see the option to amend 2018 or earlier, it's because you can't amend an unfiled 2019 return. Instead, just select Pick up where you left off, make your changes, and disregard the rest of these instructions.
  1. Select Amend using TurboTax Online.
  2. Carefully follow the instructions. Don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal on amended returns.
  3. When finished, we'll give you instructions for printing and mailing your amended return as amendments can't be e-filed.


Level 1

Stimulus check question

So if she did file as single, that means she did not claim me and I can go back? I just want to make sure! 

Expert Alumni

Stimulus check question

Yes, you can file an amended return.  Here's how: 2019 Amended Return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings