Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stimulus check being mailed after I filed

My $600 stimulus was originally sent to a checking account that I closed in September, and the bank confirmed that they sent it back the to IRS. I read in almost all media reports in the beginning of January that the IRS will mail checks to deposits that were sent to closed accounts up to and no later than 1/15/21.

I kept watch on the Get My Payment website and it never updated and kept showing the deposit was scheduled for 1/4/21 into the old bank. So at the advice of media reports saying after 1/15 if you didn't get a check mailed to you, then you would have to file taxes and claim the Recovery Rebate, which I wound up doing. 

I filed with Turbo Tax and sent it on Fri. 1/15/21. Only NOW the Get My Payment has finally updated to say "

We scheduled your payment to be mailed on February 5, 2021 to the address we have on file for you". So my $600 is finally coming by check (after media reported IRS was NOT sending anything after 1/15 and you need to file!)

My tax return file is pending on Turbo Tax and cannot be cancelled. On 2/12 it will send to IRS where they will se that I requested the $600...will they simply see that I will have cashed the check they already mailed and just reject it? Or will they accuse me of fraud and trying to get it 2 times?! I don't want to get in trouble and I followed the advice of the media reports and filed the Recovery Rebate because I thought they weren't sending the check after 1/15.

What do I do when the check arrives? Cash it or wait until the return is accepted? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The IRS will continue to process payments until February 5.  They originally told us that they would only process payments until January 15.  So you did the right thing by filing as you did.  Once they begin accepting returns on February 12, they will have to resolve this for you and for many other people in the same situation.

They have not yet told us how they will handle this.  If they do need any type of confirmation from you, they will contact you.  But we are hoping that this will just be quickly resolved by their department.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The IRS will continue to process payments until February 5.  They originally told us that they would only process payments until January 15.  So you did the right thing by filing as you did.  Once they begin accepting returns on February 12, they will have to resolve this for you and for many other people in the same situation.

They have not yet told us how they will handle this.  If they do need any type of confirmation from you, they will contact you.  But we are hoping that this will just be quickly resolved by their department.

Thank you for the reply and explanation. I had no idea they extended sending payments until 2/5. Knowing that a lot of others are in this same situation makes me feel much better. I will deposit the check when it comes and when they get my filing on 2/12, they can just reject it....and if they don't and send another check automatically, I will just send it back to them. 

Thanks again, it's very appreciated! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies