turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Still waiting 53 weeks for federal refund. Received ID verification letter in March. Amended website still says not processed yet.? IRS hotline keeps saying wait 30 days

I filed jointly since I just got married. I forgot to put in a tax break and so i amended my taxes. Is this normal to not even get a letter or any info for this long? Is there anyone who I can contact regarding this delay?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Still waiting 53 weeks for federal refund. Received ID verification letter in March. Amended website still says not processed yet.? IRS hotline keeps saying wait 30 days

No this is not normal.  You really should try to speak to someone at the IRS.

You can call 1-800-829-1040 to get answers to your federal tax questions 24 hours a day. 

Other things to consider:

How did you amend?  Did you e-file or mailed the return to the IRS?  The first step is to verify that you actually submitted the amendment.  You should call the IRS to speak with someone who can say if the document is actually being processed or give you directions for re-submitting the amendment if necessary.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi Cynthia, 

Thank you for your response.. Yes, I filed my amended return 2 days after I filed my original return. It was accepted by the IRS according to Turbotax. I received my identity letter in early March 2023, my husband verified his identity as only one person needed to verify their identity. I have called that phone # you provided and after waiting 30 mins each time I get the same response from the operator. " Please give me a few mins to review your account" Hi, it says that your return was received but has not been processed. I try to ask them any information and they say they don't have any additional info, I get the usual give them another 30 days.. I really don't know who to contact or how to get any information. According to the IRS website they are processing Aug 2023 Amended electronic returns. So how come we have been skipped. If anyone can help, I would be very helpful.

You can try speaking to the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service for your area and see if they will help you.   They are especially prone to help if you have an economic hardship, or if there have been continued delays with lack of info from the IRS.    At the following IRS website, find the box near the bottom to choose your state, and it will give you the number of your IRS Taxpayer Advocate.   If the Taxpayer Advocate can't/won't help you, ask them to transfer you to an an IRS agent. A couple of users reported that at least for them, that was a backdoor route to the IRS.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

If they won't help, you can always contact your Congressman's local office and see if they can assist in communicating with the IRS.

Thank you for that suggestion. I will reach out to the tax advocate service & see if they can help in any way. If they cannot help, I will contact my local congressman's office. Fingers crossed!

You're welcome.  Good luck.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies