kjhill2018

Someone else has the right to claim me as a dependent but I have filed and received a refund what do I do now

KatrinaB

Since someone has the right to claim you as a dependent you will need to amend your return and indicate that someone is claiming you as a dependent. You will need to answer yes to question number three in the personal information section of your tax return when amending. Please view my (screenshot) below for reference.

Follow the directions in the TurboTax FAQ below to prepare your amended return. 

Note: Once you prepare the return in TurboTax you will need to mail it to the IRS. This type of return is not eligible for e-file. The person who is claiming you as a dependent will need to paper file as well since you have claimed yourself.