Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SAR8
Level 2

(SOLVED) I filed my original return, then amended it before my original return was processed. Will my original return still be processed first?

(Please scroll to see my update on this matter)

So my situation is a little tricky. I e-filed my Federal and NY State Tax Return. I instantly received a notice that an RFI was sent to me in regards to my NY State Return (they requested form IT-558 which didn’t apply to me, but NY began auto-requesting this form from everyone due to a new requirement).

Aside from this, I noticed I entered an incorrect amount for one of the lines in my returns (claimed I personally contributed a certain amount to my HSA, but it turned out I didn’t because it was through my employer - not personally). So, I called the IRS and they instructed that I reply to the RFI stating that I’m going to amend my return and then proceed to amend it. So that’s what I did.

The issue is, I amended my tax return before the original one went into processing (it was accepted but on hold to be processed due to the RFI request. I responded to the request stating that I amended my return and that form IT-558 didn’t apply to me, so I entered all zeros on the form and submitted my RFI response.

Now I have no idea if my original return is still going to be processed first so that I can receive my NY refund soon? Or if they are going to disregard my original return and proceed only with my amended return and delay my NY refund further?

My NY refund amount didn’t change when I amended; it stayed the same and my amended return showed there were no changes in the refund amount and that I didn’t owe anything - so I will still receive the amount. I just don’t know if amending before the original return processed is going to delay my original return’s refund.

I’ve read that amended returns do not delay the original returns refunds, but I feel my situation is a little different since I amended before they even processed my original returns, they had only accepted my original returns.

I honestly wish I did my research before I amended after reading recommendations to amend AFTER I receive my refund. But I can’t undo it now and can only ask for help on whether to still expect my original return to be processed first, or if the original return will now be disregarded and I will have to wait for the amended return to process?

MY UPDATE ON THIS SITUATION! PLEASE SEE BELOW:

Amended returns will send your refund as a check within the next 4-6 weeks. This just happened to me for 2023! The order in which it happened for me was:

03/15/2023: filed my original return

03/22/2023
: e-filed my amended return with TurboTax before my original finished processing (also, they have now made it possible to e-file amended returns instead of mailing your amended return)

The Where’s My Amended Return tool showed 03/22/2023
: received my amended return

On 05/16/2013: I then called the IRS number [518… 485… 6808… I wrote the IRS number like this so it hopefully won’t be removed by the site] and did a trick I read online on which numbers to press in order to get to a representative to speak with (so sorry I do not remember the numbers and order, but a quick Google search should bring you right to it!). I let them know that it had been well over 4 weeks (8 weeks to be exact) and I have not received any updates on Where’s My Amended Return (and it had been 9 weeks since filing my original return, with the Where’s My Refund tool for my original return still saying they had no record of my return). They were able to make the updates on my amended return on the spot, and told me I will receive a check within the next 3 weeks.

The Where’s My Amended Return tool now showed 05/19/2023
: adjusted my amended return

06/01/2023: I received a check for my adjusted refunded on June 1, 2023.

The Where’s My Amended Return tool afterwards showed: 06/09/2023
: Completed my amended return

For reference for those who amended their return before your original finished processing (recommend to not do this, but mistakes happen and it’s okay - it happened to me):

1. It will take a lot longer for you to receive your refund. In total, it took 72 days from when I filed my original return to receiving the amended refund check. This also was due to me calling the IRS after 4 weeks from filing my amended return for help.

2. If you amended your return before your original finished processing, please note that the Where’s My Refund tool will never update to show that they have received your original return and it will not show any statuses. Because you have filed your amended return before your original finished processing, you will need to ONLY refer to the Where’s My Amended Return tool. If they have reduced your refund or you are due additional funds, you will receive a check in the mail. Also, ONLY if you are due additional funds from your Amended Return, you will still receive the amount from your original return. But if your Amended Return was adjusted to reduce how much you are owed, you will not receive the amount from your original return.

Calling the IRS number [518… 485… 6808.. I wrote the IRS number like this so it hopefully won’t be removed by the site] and doing the trick I read online on which numbers to press in order to get to a representative - and asking them if your amended refund has reduced how much you were getting on your original return OR if you are going to receive additional funds owed will help you know whether to expect only a check in the mail, or both a check in the mail and direct deposit from your original return (if you chose direct deposit from your original return).

Hope this helps! 🙂

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

(SOLVED) I filed my original return, then amended it before my original return was processed. Will my original return still be processed first?

It would be unusual for the amended return - which is paper processed - to be done before the e-filed original. And certainly, the amendment process is separate from the original filing process (i.e., they don't tend to impact each other).

So, in your case, my impression is that your federal refund will come in an expeditious time, because the computers processing your original return won't know that you have submitted an amendment, and Congress has ordered the IRS to get original refunds out in three weeks (which they largely did even during the pandemic).

You should be able to check the status of the refund from your original return here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

filing federal amendment but not state amendment is not going to interfere with your state tax return processing.

@SAR8 

SAR8
Level 2

Just to clarify, I e-filed and electronically amended both my Federal and NY State return at the same time!

SAR8
Level 2

Thanks so much for your response! Noted! So even though I electronically amended my NY State and Federal return before my original return was processed (they were only accepted), they will still process my original return first because they are two completely different processes?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Generally, yes. They process in order of receiving the returns.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Trixz

So, here’s the thing. Nowadays We can do an amendment electronically. Does this change our original refund date? Or do the two still not cross over?

Example, E- Filed  March 31st

Expected Refund date: April 21st

Electronic Amendment April 7th

Trixz

Even if We filed an amendment electronically?

Trixz

For some reason that didn’t happened to Us. We filed and got accepted on March 31st. We amended it electronically on the 7th April. But We didn’t get our refund on April 21st. And we didn’t have a child tax credit or anything like that. So, what gives?

if the amended was accepted, then the delay may be caused by the IRS having to process the original before it can process the amended.   Getting the amended before the original  is fully processed would likely delay any refund shown on the original.  the general advice for amended returns is to wait until the original is fully processed before submitting an amended return. only the IRS can tell yo what the status is.

https://www.irs.gov/refunds 

Trixz

Where’s my amended return says We processed your amended return on June 09,

2023. The adjustment on your account resulted in a refund. But We don’t see it in Our bank account. When will we see the direct deposit?

SAR8
Level 2

(I’m going to update my question for this thread with this comment update on my situation)

Amended returns will send your refund as a check within the next 4-6 weeks. This just happened to me for 2023! The order in which it happened was:

03/15/2023: filed my original return

03/22/2023: e-filed my amended return with TurboTax before my original finished processing (also, they have now made it possible to e-file amended returns instead of mailing your amended return)

The Where’s My Amended Return tool showed 03/22/2023: received my amended return

On 05/16/2013: I then called the IRS number [518… 485… 6808… I wrote the IRS number like this so it hopefully won’t be removed by the site] and did a trick I read online on which numbers to press in order to get to a representative to speak with (so sorry I do not remember the numbers and order, but a quick Google search should bring you right to it!). I let them know that it had been well over 4 weeks (8 weeks to be exact) and I have not received any updates on Where’s My Amended Return (and it had been 9 weeks since filing my original return, with the Where’s My Refund tool still saying they had no record of my return). They were able to make the updates on my amended return on the spot, and told me I will receive a check within the next 3 weeks.

The Where’s My Amended Return tool now showed 05/19/2023: adjusted my amended return

06/01/2023: I received a check for my adjusted refunded on June 1, 2023.

The Where’s My Amended Return tool afterwards showed: 06/09/2023
: Completed my amended return

For reference for those who amended their return before your original finished processing (recommend to not do this, but mistakes happen and it’s okay - it happened to me):

1. It will take a lot longer for you to receive your refund. In total, it took 72 days from when I filed my original return to receiving the amended refund check. This also was due to me calling the IRS after 4 weeks from filing my amended return for help.

2. If you amended your return before your original finished processing, please note that the Where’s My Refund tool will never update to show that they have received your original return and it will not show any statuses. Because you have filed your amended return before your original finished processing, you will need to ONLY refer to the Where’s My Amended Return tool. If they have reduced your refund or you are due additional funds, you will receive a check in the mail. Also, ONLY if you are due additional funds from your Amended Return, you will still receive the amount from your original return. But if your Amended Return was adjusted to reduce how much you are owed, you will not receive the amount from your original return.

Calling the IRS number [518… 485… 6808.. I wrote the IRS number like this so it hopefully won’t be removed by the site] and doing the trick I read online on which numbers to press in order to get to a representative - and asking them if your amended refund has reduced how much you were getting on your original return OR if you are going to receive additional funds owed will help you know whether to expect only a check in the mail, or both a check in the mail and direct deposit from your original return (if you chose direct deposit from your original return).

Hope this helps! 🙂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies