turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bjm_1021

Since I amended my return, I dont owe money any more but get a refund. But will I still need to pay for what I due and get refunded after the tax date?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Since I amended my return, I dont owe money any more but get a refund. But will I still need to pay for what I due and get refunded after the tax date?

Yes, you still need to pay the balance due with your original return.

Your original return and your amended return are processed as two separate returns. The IRS will mail you a check for the refund that goes with your amended return. You are expected to pay the balance due that goes with your original return.

It can take up to 12 weeks to process the amendment, so don't hold your breath waiting for that refund.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you still need to pay the balance due with your original return.

Your original return and your amended return are processed as two separate returns. The IRS will mail you a check for the refund that goes with your amended return. You are expected to pay the balance due that goes with your original return.

It can take up to 12 weeks to process the amendment, so don't hold your breath waiting for that refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies