turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tswperfect
Returning Member

Should I still mail in 1040-V if I already have future withdrawn date on my original tax return?

So, my federal + state tax returns are both accepted (through TurboTax), I owe tax and I have my checking account withdrawn date set in the future (so I haven't actually paid yet).

Now I got the corrected 1099 so I amended the tax and e-filed it, the result is I still owe tax but TurboTax asked me to mail in 1040-V, should I still do this? The amount on it seems to be the "original tax owed" - "extra refund".

I am confused if I should still mail in because it seems like 1040-V needs to mail in with a check (which is not needed for my case since I already set up a withdrawn date). 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Should I still mail in 1040-V if I already have future withdrawn date on my original tax return?

Since requested to have your federal taxes owed debited from your checking account, the Form 1040-V is not needed so can be discarded.

On your amended tax return if you have taxes owed you include a check for the taxes owed with the mailed amended return.  Or if you are e-filing the amended return you can use the IRS payment website to pay the taxes owed on the amended return - https://www.irs.gov/payments

Note - The Form 1040-V was only for the original tax return that was filed.

tswperfect
Returning Member

Do you mean if the result of my amended return is actually a refund, no need to mail in 1040-V (since I still owe tax)?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies