cortneyb5

Should I amend my return if I received Form 1095-B for months I did not select as having health coverage and received a penalty for?

LinaJ2018

Yes, you should.  If the information from Form 1095-B does not match what you have entered in the program ( or the forms) thus triggers a penalty, you should amend your 2019 tax return for corrections. 

Since you have already submitted your return, you have two options: 

If your return got rejected for any reason, you can return to the program/account to make corrections along with other make changes.  You do not need an amendment 1040-X.

If your return has been accepted, please see the following :

You will have to amend your return by filing Form 1040X.  You should not try to amend your return until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.

Amended returns do not “catch up” to your original return and replace them;  they are processed as two separate returns.  

Amended returns have to be printed and filed by mail.  It can take the IRS up to 12 weeks or longer to process them.   If you are due a larger refund than on your original return, your amended return should only show the difference and you will receive a separate check for it.  If you owe money on your amended return, it will show only the new amount owed, you will have to mail a check with the return. 

LinaJ2018