Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cody_engstrom7958
Returning Member

Shorted Federal refund

As I'm sure you have noticed, there have been a numerous amount of people claiming that they were shorted for their 2021 taxes. I too am one of them, otherwise I wouldn't be doing this. And while it might seem belated, despite having until June 3rd I would still like to receive some answers on my return. I am still going to get through to make an appointment with my local IRS office, but that is a full time job on its own.

Anyways, as you might be able to see (if you have the ability to access my tax return) my expected refund amount was said to be $10,853 but was adjusted down to $8,053 which makes a difference of $2800

The interesting thing, is that while my adjusted refund amount is the lower of the two, I was only given (via direct deposit) $7,906 which is a difference of $147 

At this point, I cant remember if I had stated I would like to have the cost to file taken out of my state or federal (or if that's even an option) but I'm more so curious about the $2800 and how that large of an amount was removed from my total federal refund. 

Via the IRS.gov website, under 'refund status results' it states that changes were made and when I could expect my refund to be deposited, but the amount reflected on the IRS.gov website isn't even the amount I had been truly given. On March 29th I had received a deposit of $7,906 which again isn't even what was said to have hit my ban account. It also shows that I should have received a letter in the mail on March 21st which I did not receive. 

On form 1040: line 28, I have an amount of $3600 and on line 30 I have an amount of $4200

I have listed the above amounts as those are what I noticed had been asked for from other members whom have posted on this board.

Any info would be helpful. I would be glad to pay someone to help me find my missing money that was said to have been given via TT

I have used TT for years and have never had an issue but now it seems like there is an issue with skimming from not only me but many others as well.

Please help.

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

Shorted Federal refund

2800 is part of the 3rd Stimulus payment on line 30.  4200 would be the amount for 3 people (1400x3).  Like married with 1 dependent.  Did you add a dependent on your return?  Like have a baby?

The IRS records show they already sent you the 2800 3rd Stimulus payment so you only qualify for another 1400.  Line 30 is only if you didn't get the full amount or qualify for more. 

The 3rd Stimulus payment started going out in March 2021 and is for 1,400 for each person listed on your tax return, no age limit. The IRS used your 2020 (or 2019) return to send the checks out fast. If your 2021 return changes and you qualify for more you can claim the extra as the Recovery Rebate Credit on 1040 line 30. But line 30 is only if you didn't get the full amount or qualify for more. Not the amount you already got. The IRS also sent out letter 6475 to tell you how much they sent you . If you are married then each spouse should get a letter for half.

Double check your bank statements and check your IRS account to see what they sent you.  Check both IRS accounts if married.

Your Online Account | Internal Revenue Service

Shorted Federal refund

@cody_engstrom7958  while @VolvoGirl 's response is 'spot on',  in all these 'complaints' about reduced refunds the issue is the same in every case: 

when entering data into TT, you were asked to enter a) how much you received for the 3rd stimulus and b) how much you received for the advance child tax credit

If you under-reported what you received, that inflated the refund request on your tax return.  Since the IRS knows what they sent you, they are checking what they sent vs. what you said you received and reducing the refund by the difference. 

The IRS beleives you received the $2800 back in the March - May. 2021 time frame.  I suspect you had a child in 2021 which obviously the IRS did not know about, so you are entitled to $1400 on Line 30 and $3600 on Line 28.  

if you google articles on IRS errors, literally millions and millions of taxpayers made the same mistake. if that is any consolation.

Shorted Federal refund

Your IRS Account Summary will show the original amount of refund you requested.

It won't show the adjustments made by IRS.

cody_engstrom7958
Returning Member

Shorted Federal refund

I checked my bank statements and we never received the additional $2800 so I do not know where that money had been sent. I'd be curious to know if they have a transaction number to use as a reference.

And yes, we had a kid in August. His information, such as his full name and social security number were entered into (what we believe) was the correct boxes. 

Also, I remember a section asking if we received any amount in a per month format for the child tax credit, our answer to that was no. 

Shorted Federal refund

Double check your bank statements again and Check your IRS account (both accounts if married)

Your Online Account | Internal Revenue Service

If the IRS thinks they sent it to you but you didn't get it request a trace for a missing third Stimulus payment

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-j-p...

cody_engstrom7958
Returning Member

Shorted Federal refund

You'd be correct in stating that via the IRS.gov website should show our original requested refund, but that amount is not what was deposited into our bank account. Why the discrepancy?  

Shorted Federal refund

can you provide the specifics? 

I think what you are saying is that you requested $4200 for the Recovery Rebate (line 30). 

what did the IRS website say you received?  If it states $2800, then do the trace  suggested by @VolvoGirl 

any chance you changed banking accounts since filing your 2020 tax return.  Whatever you listed on the 2020 tax return (and possibly 2019 tax return, depending on the timing)  is what the IRS would have used to provide the 3rd stimulus last March

cody_engstrom7958
Returning Member

Shorted Federal refund

@NCperson 

"when entering data into TT, you were asked to enter a) how much you received for the 3rd stimulus and b) how much you received for the advance child tax credit"

Yes, you are correct. TT did ask those questions. We were unable to enter any information as we did not receive an advanced child tax credit money nor did we receive the 3rd stimulus.

"The IRS beleives you received the $2800 back in the March - May. 2021 time frame.  I suspect you had a child in 2021 which obviously the IRS did not know about, so you are entitled to $1400 on Line 30 and $3600 on Line 28.  "

Is there a way to track payments that the IRS believes they sent? And yes, we had a child in August. We reported that on tax form 1040 so how would the IRS not know when he was issued a SSC?

Shorted Federal refund

@cody_engstrom7958 wrote:

You'd be correct in stating that via the IRS.gov website should show our original requested refund, but that amount is not what was deposited into our bank account. Why the discrepancy?  

No.  I was saying to check your IRS account to see how much they sent you last year for the 3rd Stimulus payment.  You should each show they sent you 1400.  The IRS shows they already sent you 2800 (1400x2).  Then line 30 should be only the 1400 for the baby.

So If the IRS thinks they sent it to you but you didn't get it request a trace for a missing third Stimulus payment

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-j-p...

Shorted Federal refund

IRS would not send any advances for a child born in 2021 unless they were registered on the portal in 2021.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies