Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Short Taxes

My taxes have been shorted about $2,800. I've been trying to contact IRS every single day I do no get any answer, always busy tone. My tax return has the same exact information as my last year with one dependent. I looked at my 2020 tax return and everything matches. I don't have anything outstanding with the IRS, and i never received my 3rd stimulus check. I see that this is happening to other people and I need answers. No one is seeming to help fix the problem. Someone please reach out! 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
LakeFish

Short Taxes

Same for me, I was (will be) shorted about $1,300.  Did you get a letter from the IRS saying your TurboTax return was in error due to the Recovery Rebate Credit?  I did, so instead of receiving ~$1,200, I have to pay ~ $800.

I think the IRS screwed up the amounts declared when it sent us out the last letter.  Mine was the one from 1/14/22 Letter #6475 "Total 2021 Economic Impact Payment".  Turbo Tax suggested one amount & this letter had a totally different amount.  

So...I entered the amount the IRS SAID I received, and now the IRS says I owe.

Not sure of the solution other than to contact the IRS through the phone number given on the letter.

TurboTax is not allowing me to have any direct contact with them (they have my money & say the IRS has accepted my filing...so they're done with me!)  other than to find multitudes of "frequently asked questions" which were useless.

Did you get the IRS letter saying you now owe?

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Short Taxes

This is a common problem this year and is something only the IRS can answer.  However, we are finding that many people either never realized they did receive the third stimulus payment or they forgot they received it.

You can visit your IRS online account to see what payment you received and when you received it.  You should also go back through your bank account starting in March 2021, to look for the $2,800 payment.  It may have been received as $1,400 twice.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies