Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Resubmitting a 1040?

A friend recently took a shot at figuring her 2021 taxes manually and mailed the return. Unfortunately, almost everything on it was incorrect. I know a 1040-X is the way to make corrections, but is there any way the IRS will let me simply e-file a CORRECT 1040 for her?

I ask because TurboTax is making it very difficult to recreate her screwed up 1040. It keeps correcting entries and check boxes to what they SHOULD have been rather than what she entered. At this point, it looks like it will be easier to just do the whole thing on paper rather than attempting to recreate her errant 1040 in TurboTax, followed by a TurboTax 1040-X.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Resubmitting a 1040?

@zapt98 

You must have a copy of the original tax return you want to update (or a transcript).

The simplest way is to prepare your correct tax return (using TurboTax for example, or other means) and print it.
Then lay the paper printouts of both returns (correct and original) side-by-side.
You now have all the information needed to prepare Form 1040-X by hand.
It's pretty straight-forward.

The blank form in fillable PDF format and its instructions are available at www.irs.gov.
Refer to the Instructions for what is to be attached to Form 1040-X.

Do not include your old 1040 nor your revised 1040 because the Form 1040-X reflects any changes there and becomes your new tax return.
Mail to the address shown in the Instructions.
There are other tax prep sites on the internet that will do your  return again (federal) for no charge.

Resubmitting a 1040?

Thanks for the reply. I had hoped I could submit the 1040-X for her via e-filing, but it does look like your suggestion will be the simplest. I've already generated a correct 1040 for her using TurboTax, so I'll head to IRS.gov next for the downloads.

Resubmitting a 1040?

And sorry, you can only efile the amended return if the original return was efiled from the same account and accepted.

Resubmitting a 1040?

Thanks for the clarification. That wasn’t obvious from the TurboTax instructions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies