Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Restarted TurboTax today, and TurboTax self-installed an update. My reported refund has been reduced by 30%. How can I tell what changed ???

i want to go back to the version before the update so i can screenshot the report screens of income & deductions, so i can see what data has been lost. (or what may be calculated incorrectly either before or after)
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Restarted TurboTax today, and TurboTax self-installed an update. My reported refund has been reduced by 30%. How can I tell what changed ???

There is not a way to do that. When had you entered your original information? If you entered it in January or February, it is possible a calculation changed based on an update.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Entered data last week.

Charitable Deductions in EasyStep flow ...

"Are any of your dontations to 30% AGI organizations?"

"No."

"Congratulations, all of your contributions are 100% deductible!"

But then in the forms ...
"Schedule A" reports a reduced amount.
And a "Charity limits" worksheet shows the entire amount limited to 30% AGI.

No response from TurboTax today ...

i'm guessing that something internal got stuck in a bad state when my existing data moved in to the newly released version that saw self-installed.

So i'm going to delete the charitable deductions in EasyStep, then delete the bogus "Charity limits" form, and then go back through EasyStep and enter the deductions again.  Hope that cleans it up.

The "Charity limits" worksheet still reduces my long-term capital gain donation to 30% AGI, even though the EasyStep status and reports don't say that anything should be limited.

i tried reading "Publication 526 (2023) Charitable Contributions" from the IRS, but that's just full of exception after exception, and it's hard to make sense of it.

i don't know whether my donation really should be subject to a limitation or not, but TurboTax's calculation and reporting are inconsistent. And if i had filed my return *last* weekend, i would have had a much larger deduction. :(

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

If your contribution is limited to 30% of your income, it would likely either be stock the you donated or you donated to a 30% charity:

Or, you may have indicated that you gave to a 30% Charity:

I suggest you go back through your contribution entries and make corrections as is needed. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes, the donation is long-term capital gain stock.

But it's not clear that all capital gain donations are supposed to be limited to 30% ??

The description in the income/deduction summary report says that the donation should not be limited.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies