Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sharon 04

Resetting password on account with incorrect phone # and email

I have been doing my taxes via turbo tax download for quite a few yrs. (Except 2018) . I had problems using the cd download this yr  for 23. I noticed that none of my prior tax yrs are there-  I get the message that I didn't file taxes thru turbotax that yr (i.e. 2019-2022). The fact is that I did. I found what I think is the original login but I no longer us that email or phone number and have no idea what the password is.  How can I retrieve or change the email or phone number to be able to reset the password 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

@Sharon 04 wrote:

I have been doing my taxes via turbo tax download for quite a few yrs. (Except 2018) . I had problems using the cd download this yr  for 23. I noticed that none of my prior tax yrs are there-  I get the message that I didn't file taxes thru turbotax that yr (i.e. 2019-2022). The fact is that I did. I found what I think is the original login but I no longer us that email or phone number and have no idea what the password is.  How can I retrieve or change the email or phone number to be able to reset the password 

Are you trying to get the download programs for 2019-2022 that you purchased from TurboTax?    If you are looking for the actual tax returns and prepared them in desktop software, the tax returns themselves will not be in an Online TurboTax account.    In any case, if you no longer have access to the email account or phone number, here's another way you can look for and recover multiple accounts.  It will hopefully show you all your User ID's and allow you to reset the password.    Once inside your account you can go to the Intuit Account settings to update your profile.

NOTE: Before running the account recovery tool below, log out of all Intuit accounts including this user forum, or you might end up in a loop.  Then clear your browser Internet cache, close your browser, then reopen it, and go to the link below.  You may wish to copy this link so you can paste it into the new browser session.

https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery

Leave the data field blank (i.e., do not enter an email address or phone number.)   Instead, scroll down a bit, then choose the small blue link that says "Try something else", and it will try to look you up by other parameters.

It sounds like you have more than one account, accidentally created a new account at some point, and lost track of the old account with most of your history.

If you can't reset your account online, you can call customer support and get the security team.  You may have to  provide copies of identity documents, and it make take a couple of days, but they should reset the password and email for you.

Then, you may also find that the documents in the old account are locked, and require a payment to unlock.  In the past, using the account in the current year keeps all prior years unlocked, but if you stopped for a couple of years, the history gets locked.  Turbotax might or might not have changed this behavior.   If the history is locked, you can call customer service, let them know you have paid using a different account, and they will unlock the history of the old account. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies