Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Removing state amended information

I created an amended return but realized it was not necessary.  I removed the 1040X in the federal return but cannot remove the state amended info.  I did go to Forms and selected "Remove Amended info" but it's still there.  How to do that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LeticiaF1
Expert Alumni

You can try to do the following:

1. Sign in to TurboTax and open your return by selecting Continue or Pick up where you left off.
  2. In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  4. Select Delete next to the amended form for the state. 

Please let us know if you have additional questions.  

I think that may work when using the online Turbotax, but I don't know.  I use a downloaded CD version on MAC.   It has a FORMS option in the toolbar on top and an option to "Remove Amended Info."  When I select that, It says it's going to remove that form (Amended info) and tells me that "Removing the form "Amended Info" will cause all of its data to be discarded."  But when I select Remove... the form never gets deleted.  The TurboTax summary of my WV tax refund/liability never gets restored.  It stays at $0.  Glad I printed out the original forms before I created this amended disaster, lol. 

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

If you started to amend your federal tax return and would like to disregard the amendment, please follow these steps to correctly "unamend" your federal return:

1. Open your return.
  2. Switch to Forms mode.
  3. In the left pane, select "Form 1040X", and "Delete"
  4. Follow the prompts to remove the 1040X from your return.
  5. Switch back to interview mode by selecting "Step-by-Step" in the upper right corner of your screen.
  6. Important: Undo any changes you made to your return after you selected the option to amend your return, as deleting your 1040X won't undo those entries.

Please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community with additional information or questions or click here for help in contacting Turbo Tax Support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies