Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What happens if I forget to add 1098 T to my Tax form?

I forgot to add two 1098 T forms to my taxes and wanted the option to add them before the IRS approves of my Taxes. Can I add them to my form before IRS approval? If I can't at the moment, how do I add them after the information I submitted is approved?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Regardless of your reason for needing to file an amended return --YOU SHOULD WAIT.

You appear to be using the TTax On-Line version.

Don't do anything, until you find out if your return is accepted or rejected by the IRS.

If you receive an acceptance, it would then be best to wait until you actually receive your refund (or the IRS cashes your payment)Then you can prepare, PRINT and MAIL an amended return (form 1040-X).  The amended return usually takes 2-4 months for the IRS to process.

If you receive a rejection, you can simply add your additional/changed information at the same time you correct the cause(s) for rejection, and re-submit your e-file.

Any changes you make at this time will NOT be seen by the IRS e-fileIRS restriction = you CANNOT e-file an amended return.

Perhaps some terminology/definitions would be in order:
AMEND:- your return is what you do AFTER your return has been filed and accepted
by the IRS and/or state.  (No additional charge)

CHANGE:- your return is what you do BEFORE your return has been filed --simply go
back to the respective information and change it as needed.

CORRECT:- your return is what you do AFTER you attempted to file your return and
it is rejected by either TTax, IRS, or state --again, simply go back to the
respective information and change it as needed.

If you have already made changes to your On-Line return:
You must now RESTORE your return to the EXACT condition it was in when you originally e-filed.
You will have to go back and manually UNDO all changes you made based on your notes or memory.

WillK
Intuit Alumni

Unfortunately you cannot edit your return since you have already filed. 

You have 2 options: (1) Wait to see if the IRS rejects your returns. If they do you are then able to login and edit your return.

(2) Wait to see if the IRS accepts your returns. If they do, then you will need to amend your return. 

The 1040X for amending 2015 returns will not be available until February 11th. You should not try to amend your return until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.
Amended returns do not “catch up” to your original return and replace them; they are processed as two separate returns.  
Amended returns have to be printed and filed by mail.  It can take the IRS up to 12 weeks or longer to process them.   If you are due a larger refund than on your original return, your amended return should only show the difference and you will receive a separate check for it.  If you owe money on your amended return, it will show only the new amount owed, you will have to mail a check with the return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies