turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Refund Processing Service and IRS processing delay

Today I received a note from Intuit that despite using the Refund Processing Service (where TurboTax fees are deducted directly from an IRS refund), I will soon have my fees charged to my credit card on file...  because the expected refund (of approx. $5,900) has yet to be processed by the IRS 7-weeks after it was "Accepted" on Jan 29, 2024. 

While my CA state refund of $2,800+ was processed and refunded 10-days after filing, my IRS refund has yet to be issued. After 3 weeks of investigation, several hours with TurboTax Customer Service, 3 appointments with the IRS and two in-person IRS appointments, the reason for the delay is revealed (and resolved): the REFUND PROCESSING SERVICE was reason for the IRS to flag my return as "potential fraud" requiring in-person ID-verification and an expected "6-10 week delay" in processing of the refund. 

While my refund remains set to be issued to the 3rd-party account setup to receive the refund, deduct TurboTax fees and forward remaining balance to my bank... now TurboTax plans to charge me again -- for a service that has caused the problem to begin with

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

You won't be getting charged twice.  That's common.  Then when the IRS does send your refund they won't take the fees out again.   If the IRS is taking too long to send your refund they will ask you to pay the fees, see step 3 under What happens if the IRS reduces my refund......
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/payments/help/what-if-my-federal-refund-isn-t-enough-to-cover-my-t...

And this one....

You can also be auto-debited if you signed up for Pay With My Refund and your refund is sufficient, but the IRS is still holding your refund 36 days after your original estimated refund date. In this case, you'll get the same email notifications from us, except we will debit the Pay With My Refund fee (if any) in addition to your other TurboTax fees. 
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/why-was-my-bank-account-auto-debited-for-tur...

I really appreciate you taking time for your thoughtful responses, @VolvoGirl !  To be more frank, my concern is less about being charged twice (which I agree is highly unlikely; or easily fixed with a call in the off chance it happened).

my post -- and really my vent -- is that according to the IRS agent, I met in person (confirmed by a second agent I met with by phone), The processing of my return is delayed ar least 9 weeks because I chose to use the Pay With My Refund option in the first place.

This service (which ultimately does have a premium $44 fee to use on top of the standard TurboTax fees), instead of being a convenience... is the ultimate cause for a multiple month delay on my refund. 

Others may want to know this is something to consider before electing to Pay With My Refund.

No that doesn't affect when the IRS sends your refund.  The fees come out of your refund after the IRS sends it.   Either the IRS agent was wrong or you misunderstood.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies