Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

Refund approved but forgot a W2

Our refund was approved and is scheduled to direct deposit on March 3rd. I realized I forgot to add a W2 that would increase our income significantly. I know about the 1040X amend form. Will I owe back the refund I am receiving? I was planning on spending it, but should I wait and see if I owe?

2 Replies
Level 15

Refund approved but forgot a W2

It is possible that you will owe something when you add some income--we cannot see your information so cannot predict.   You will need to amend to add the W-2.


Do not try to change anything on your return now.  When you amend, your Form 1040X has to be prepared from the return exactly the way it looked when you filed it originally.   You have to wait.   Once your return has been processed you will complete a Form 1040X   --- which is not yet available --- and submit it to amend the mistakes made when you filed your original return. It takes the IRS at least four months to process an amended return.

The Form 1040X you need is under revision and is not ready yet.  The Form 1040X does not become available in the software until the end of March 2021 (subject to change).

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Returning Member

Refund approved but forgot a W2

Thanks. We didn’t owe this year. Even after adding this income it would still keep us in the same tax bracket. We claim 0 on everything so hopefully it stays that way.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings