Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

recovery rebate credit and filing 1040x

I forgot to claim my EIP for $1200 on my 2020 taxes, so i need to file 1040X amended tax return,  what do i need to include when i file 1040X? Do I need to include a copy of my 2020 tax return that i originally filed? Also my EIP was sent out as a check which i had sent to my mothers address and i later found out she tried to deposit it into her bank account but it got voided, she is now deceased what do ineed to say or include when i file my 2020 1040X form?

*i used freetaxusa to file it by paper.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If your 2020 EIP check was sent and you did not receive it, you need to have the check traced by the IRS.  Amending your 2020 return is not going to help you.

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-3911-taxpayer-statement-regarding-refund

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Check your online account to see what the IRS shows for the EIP payments that were issued to you.

Try checking your online account with the IRS (and if you filed a joint return—check for BOTH of you)

https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

If you need to trace a payment that the IRS says has been issued to you, mail or fax a completed IRS Form 3911, Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies