Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Recovery Rebate and Third Stimulus Payment

Hello. I am a disabled veteran and a non filer for the last 10 years. I didn’t receive the full amount on any of the three stimulus payments. I’m married and have been married for 11 years, however my stimulus payments were only for $600, $1,200 and $1,400. I recently filed a 2020 tax return with Turbo Tax for the Recovery Rebate for the first two payments. After filing we received a letter from the IRS saying that my wife qualified for the third stimulus payment as well. My question is will the IRS catch this during processing my 2020 return and issue us a Plus-Up Payment for the third stimulus payment for my wife or is there something else I need to do? We filed Married filing jointly although my wife doesn’t work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

We cannot see your tax return.   It sounds like you claimed the recovery rebate credit for the 1st and 2nd EIP payments when you filed your 2020 return.   Both you and your spouse should be able to receive the 3rd EIP payment.  Whether the IRS will issue that payment this late in 2021 we cannot say.  But if they do not issue it, you can still get that 3rd stimulus amount on a 2021 tax return when you file it in 2022.  

You can use the IRS Get My Payment site to see what is expected for your 3rd stimulus check:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment-frequently-asked-questions

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You are correct. I filed the 2020 return just to get the Recovery Rebate for the first two payments. Your answer is pretty much what I thought would be the case and even though I am a non filer I’ll do the same thing next year to get her 3rd payment. I have read some examples online where they did catch it and send all 3 payments, but who knows. I was surprised that it only took the IRS about 30 minutes to accept my efile. Thanks for your help. 

Your spouse has to file also.

If you filed a joint return, you should have got twice as much.

assuming she has an SSN.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies