Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Received refund check and amend tax return.

I claimed myself on my taxes, and had a refund. But I had to go back and amend my taxes, and my refund dropped. I sit because I already received my refund check or because someone else claims me?
1 Reply
Texas Roger
Level 15

Received refund check and amend tax return.

You will get the refund from your original return. The amended return shows the difference between the refund you got on your original return and what you would have received or owed on the return had it been filed correctly from the beginning. If it says you are still getting a refund, then that is additional refund after the change.

To double check everything, look on your form 1040X that you had to mail to the IRS. Line 18 would be your original refund. Line 20 would be the amount you now owe if any and line 21 would be additional refund. If line 18 does not correctly show the amount of refund on your original return, the 1040X has not been completed correctly.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies