Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gc121

Received Missing or Incomplete form from IRS. Need W2, Form 2, Form 3. Wasn't this transmitted by TurboTax when I filed?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Received Missing or Incomplete form from IRS. Need W2, Form 2, Form 3. Wasn't this transmitted by TurboTax when I filed?

There is no federal Form 2 or Form 3. I assume you mean Schedule 2 and Schedule 3. Schedule 2 is Additional Taxes. Schedule 3 is Additional Credits and Payments.

There must be more to this story. Read the entire notice carefully. The wording of IRS notices can be confusing or hard to understand. I suspect that the IRS is not saying just that some forms are missing. They may be telling you that you did not enter some credits, payments, or additional taxes that should have been included. If the missing items had been entered, they would be on Schedule 2 or Schedule 3. In other words, the form is missing or incomplete because some information that should have been on it was not entered.

Look at your Form 1040. Is there anything on line 17 or line 23? The amounts on those lines of Form 1040 come from Schedule 2. Is there anything on Form 1040 line 20 or line 31. The amounts on those lines come from Schedule 3.

And what exactly does the IRS notice say about a W-2? If you entered a W-2 it would have been transmitted. Did you enter a W-2? Is the IRS perhaps saying that another W-2 was issued to you that you did not enter? Or they might be saying that the W-2 information on your tax return does not match the W-2 from your employer. That would indicate an entry error.

If you purchased Audit Defense for your 2023 tax return, call TaxAudit at 877-829-9695, or report your IRS notice on the TaxAudit.com web site. Do not contact the IRS until you have spoken to TaxAudit. They might contact the IRS on your behalf.

If you did not purchase Audit Defense, you can get help with your IRS notice from the TurboTax Audit Support Center.

gc121

Thank you for your response.  Yes, they are asking for Schedule 2 and Schedule 3. 

Discrepancy that I see is that line 24 of form 8959 does not match Line 11 on Schedule 2.  Should it? 

Line 25c of 1040 matches line 24 of 8959.

Thank you.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

"Discrepancy that I see is that line 24 of form 8959 does not match Line 11 on Schedule 2. Should it?"

No. Schedule 2 line 11 comes from Form 8959 line 18, not line 24. Form 8959 line 24 goes to Form 1040 line 25c.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies