Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Received a CP11 due to error with Recovery Rebate Credit

I received a CP11 form after filing my family's 2021 returns, stating that we owed additional money.  I read a couple of similar cases in the community, but in those, it looks like the advanced payments of $1500 per child had not been properly inserted.  In my case, I believe it has.  I see the $1500 on line 14f on form 8812 for my single child.  I am under the impression that is correct and that the calculation should then be accurate.  Any ideas why the CP11?  I've tried to contact the IRS but their messaging service continues to say they are too busy to accept calls and try again tomorrow.  Thanks.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@cvaughn8086 wrote:

Thank you again for the quick response.  Maybe I see my issue.  When I go to that form and look at line 13, I do see the total for one of us filled in.  But that number is half of what we actually received as a couple.  Should that number be the total that both my spouse and I received for the 3rd stimulus?  If so, that's my error.  I submitted the 3rd stimulus for one of us, but not both, I guess?  

Yes, that should have been the total that both of you received.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

The Recovery Rebate Credit is not for the advance child credit you received in 2021.  It is for the 3rd stimulus payment you should have received in 2021.  It is $1,400 per person entered on your tax return.  You should have received Letter 6475 from the IRS showing the amount of 3rd stimulus payment received.  If you are married, your spouse also should have received a Letter 6475.  You were asked to enter the amount of the stimulus payment paid.  If you indicated that you did Not receive the 3rd stimulus payment then that amount would have been entered on your Form 1040 Line 30 as the Recovery Rebate Credit.

Go to this IRS website for the Letter 6475 information - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-letter-6475

If your refund is short then that is because you said you did not receive the 3rd stimulus payment and the IRS has records that show you were sent the 3rd stimulus payment so they removed the Recovery Rebate Credit that was entered on Form 1040 Line 30.

Go to this IRS website for your tax account to see if the 3rd stimulus payment is entered - https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account
If you are Married Filing Jointly also check your spouse's tax account.

If you checked your bank account in the March - May 2021 timeframe and there is not a EIP3 payment from the IRS then go to this IRS website for how to start a trace on the payment - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-j-p...

Thank you for the quick reply.  You are correct that my spouse and I did both receive the 6475 forms.  I have those.  It is very possible that I failed to enter something correctly.  When I review line 30 on the 1040 form, I do see an amount in that field.  If I understand you correctly, that means that I failed to enter the 3rd stimulus payment?  Is there a field in Turbo Tax where I can view and confirm that I failed to enter the information?  I see your link to the IRS, but if I can reference something in Turbo Tax, that is my preference.  Thanks.  

@cvaughn8086 wrote:

Thank you for the quick reply.  You are correct that my spouse and I did both receive the 6475 forms.  I have those.  It is very possible that I failed to enter something correctly.  When I review line 30 on the 1040 form, I do see an amount in that field.  If I understand you correctly, that means that I failed to enter the 3rd stimulus payment?  Is there a field in Turbo Tax where I can view and confirm that I failed to enter the information?  I see your link to the IRS, but if I can reference something in Turbo Tax, that is my preference.  Thanks.  

You were asked about the 3rd stimulus payment received in the Federal Review section of the TurboTax program.  The Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet on Line 13 will have the amount, if any, of the EIP3 that you indicated that you received.

If you are using the TurboTax desktop editions, start the 2021 tax return and continue your return.  Click on Forms.  When in Forms mode, on the left side of the screen, find and click on Recov Rebate Cr to open the worksheet.

Thank you again for the quick response.  Maybe I see my issue.  When I go to that form and look at line 13, I do see the total for one of us filled in.  But that number is half of what we actually received as a couple.  Should that number be the total that both my spouse and I received for the 3rd stimulus?  If so, that's my error.  I submitted the 3rd stimulus for one of us, but not both, I guess?  

@cvaughn8086 wrote:

Yes, that should have been the total that both of you received.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies