Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

goldengirl
Returning Member

Reasons to amend my return?

So i submited my returns and now it is accepted. I need to amend because i recieved my 1098t and also i was redoing my returns on a different email off of turbo tax to see how much i would get back with my 1098t and found it i had gotten extra refund because i made less this year than i did last year and got an additional 500. Can i also amend my returns because of that? So i can get the extra money because i made less? Will they refund me that amount since the new claim i did showed i got an additional 500 from making less this year than last year?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

Yes. There are many, many reasons to amend your return. If your return has been efiled and accepted already, you may want to wait to get the refund on the original return before you amend it. If you have any other details regarding this question, please feel free to post them in the comment section. 

Firstly, the longer you wait, the more likely that any else that needs to be added (such as the 1098-T) will arrive or come to your attention. This provides for an accurate and complete amendment the first time and less possibility of an amendment of an amendment.

Secondly, any additional refund that you get as a result of the amendment will take 2 to 3 months to be processed.

Other reasons to amend:

• You need to report a tax form you forgot about or received post-filing (most commonly a W-2, 1099, or 1095-A).
  • You received a corrected tax form after filing (the "corrected" box is checked) and the new info changes your refund or tax due amount.
  • You forgot to report income or claim dependents, deductions, or credits.
  • You accidentally claimed dependents, deductions, or credits you're not eligible for.
  • You made an error that affects your bottom line, such as reporting income or deductions in 2016 that should've been claimed in a prior tax year (in that case, you'll need to amend all affected tax years).
  • You need to change your filing status (e.g., you want to change from Single to Head of Household).
  • We instructed you to amend because of a program error (uncommon).

View solution in original post

11 Replies
MichaelDC

Yes. There are many, many reasons to amend your return. If your return has been efiled and accepted already, you may want to wait to get the refund on the original return before you amend it. If you have any other details regarding this question, please feel free to post them in the comment section. 

Firstly, the longer you wait, the more likely that any else that needs to be added (such as the 1098-T) will arrive or come to your attention. This provides for an accurate and complete amendment the first time and less possibility of an amendment of an amendment.

Secondly, any additional refund that you get as a result of the amendment will take 2 to 3 months to be processed.

Other reasons to amend:

• You need to report a tax form you forgot about or received post-filing (most commonly a W-2, 1099, or 1095-A).
  • You received a corrected tax form after filing (the "corrected" box is checked) and the new info changes your refund or tax due amount.
  • You forgot to report income or claim dependents, deductions, or credits.
  • You accidentally claimed dependents, deductions, or credits you're not eligible for.
  • You made an error that affects your bottom line, such as reporting income or deductions in 2016 that should've been claimed in a prior tax year (in that case, you'll need to amend all affected tax years).
  • You need to change your filing status (e.g., you want to change from Single to Head of Household).
  • We instructed you to amend because of a program error (uncommon).
goldengirl
Returning Member

Terrific answer! I was wondering if i amend it now just to work on the return form, will it affect my acxepted return even if i dont send off the form?
MichaelDC

Glad I could help! Good luck.
goldengirl
Returning Member

if i amend it now just to work on the return form, will it affect my acxepted return even if i dont send off the form?
MichaelDC

Right. As long as you don't mail it (you can't efile it, by the way) the IRS won't get confused. Again, it's best to wait at least until you get the refund to mail your amendment. Since it's accepted already, you good to get started in TurboTax with the amendment.
goldengirl
Returning Member

Thank you very much TaxMichaelDC!!! You have helped alot!
goldengirl
Returning Member

One more question, if i click amend return, it wont notify irs tht im about to amend right?
MichaelDC

Not at all. There's nothing electronic or efiled about the amendment. And Big Brother isn't THAT big!
goldengirl
Returning Member

Haha. Thank you!!!
2020Alfred
Returning Member

I had a follow-up question on this post which include the statement below:

You received a corrected tax form after filing (the "corrected" box is checked) and the new info changes your refund or tax due amount.

If you you get a corrected tax form after filing and the new information yields a very-very small refund when you put in amended return, do need to file an amended return if it is not worth the effort? 

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

No -- you don't have to file an amended return if you're getting a refund.  It's up to you to decide whether it's worth the effort!

@2020Alfred

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies