Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Really late refund

My 2021 tax return was accepted 2/2/22

I filed electronically so I received a letter asking for documents on 3/4/22.  Sent same day.

Documents were received by IRS 3/14/22

4/22/22 - No refund yet

Called the IRS advocate on 4/22/22.  The lady said they're not even talking to people about their 2021 returns yet.  WTF?  A friend called them and they were very helpful with his 2021 return question.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Really late refund

Thanks.  As always, you’re such a ray of sunshine in this forum.  Do you subscribe here just so you never miss a chance to put people down or show how much smarter you are?  Sorry to disappoint, but I am now unsubscribing so I won’t be bullied by you. 

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Really late refund

Many other folks are still waiting, some as long as 3 months. Please be patient.  The IRS is seriously backlogged.

Really late refund

I just talked to the IRS. “ It’s because of COVID. “.  I actually feel sorry for them. I bet they get sone really nasty calls. 

Really late refund

On the other hand, I lose my sympathy when I think about how ridiculous it is for the IRS to ask electronic filers for supporting documents that are already on file there.  Every 1099 and W-2 comes to me with a warning that the same info has been sent to the IRS.  Yet they encourage tax payers to file electronically.  

Really late refund

@DenverDad 

IRS has gone into collapse mode.

They say they hope to clear the 2020 backlog by the end of 2022.

That leaves all the paper returns for 2021 currently piling up to be cleared in 2023.

The Tax Payer Advocate is currently fond of saying that tax returns are processed first come first served. I can't believe it.

Really late refund

Thanks.  That is disturbing.  However, I have a friend on this forum who was going through the same ordeal.  He had the same exact problem and he just got his refund.  So there is hope.

I called the Tax Payer Advocate last week.  Got a really nasty woman on the phone.  She talked really fast and not to clearly.  When I asked her to repeat herself, she mocked me by dragging out each word for several seconds.  Then she told me they weren't even talking to people about 2021 returns yet, then she connected me with the IRS.  That gentleman was very pleasant to talk to.  He gave me the following website that gives current information on the COVID delays:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

Really late refund

Finally received my refund today.  I’m so relieved.  I owe my creditors a bunch, but now I can repay them.  Not sure what I’ll do next year, but I don’t want to go through this again.  I’m still thinking that going through a professional tax person would be better and not electronic filing.  

Really late refund

@DenverDad - DO NOT PAPER FILE NEXT YEAR 

there are plenty of articles of late where the IRS states that paper returns are the 'kiss of death'

even a professional preparer is going to efile.....

something like 90% of all returns are efiled.

assuming Congress doesn't pass new tax rules, 2022 tax season will be much simpler: no stimulus payments, no advance child tax credits, no EITC lookbacks to 2019, etc.   IRS has committed to get back to normal backlogs by December (they are in the process of hiring 10,000 people)

Really late refund

Thanks for your insight. That sounds promising.   I hope it happens that way. Still, rather than feeling all alone as I deal with the government, I’m going to get the support of a pro tax preparer next year.  If he/she feels electronic filing is the way to go, I’ll agree.  I’ve lost a lot of sleep over the past three months and I won’t put myself through that again.  I still believe it’s absurd that the IRS asked me for documents they already have, i.e. 1099s from Social Security, etc.   These documents all come with a warming that the same info has been sent to the IRS.  Yet, they make me send them again.  I’m grateful that the IRS finally got to my case and refunded the full amount though. 

Really late refund

@DenverDad 

If you insist on paper filing, you have to give a signed release to your professional tax preparer who is otherwise required to e-File by the IRS.

IRS is swamped with paper and one reason is people who, like you, think paper-filing is the way to go.

Frankly, it makes no sense.

Really late refund

Thanks.  As always, you’re such a ray of sunshine in this forum.  Do you subscribe here just so you never miss a chance to put people down or show how much smarter you are?  Sorry to disappoint, but I am now unsubscribing so I won’t be bullied by you. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies