Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will I get the stimulus check if 2019 is my first tax year being independent?

I recently filed as independent and I was not claimed on my parents report this year, it was accepted at the beginning of this month. I technically didn't make enough to have to file (Only around 3k) since I am a student and most of my necessities have been paid through scholarships and loans. Will I get a check? I use the checker on the IRS and it said my status wasn't available but they said it could be because on "recently filed". Would April 2nd be among "recently filed." Or will I not be getting one?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hi! You are actually wrong. You get the stimulus check if you "qualify" as long as you aren't claimed. IRS helped me out and I will be getting a check. As long as you aren't claimed on anyways taxes you get it 🙂 You guys should probably update your info.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

How old are you?  Since you are a student and make around $3k, it sounds like you qualify as a dependent.  If you qualify to be a dependent you do not qualify for the stimulus, regardless of whether or not you are actually claimed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm 19.  However I was told I wasn't able to be claimed as a dependent after I aged out of the system. (I was in fostercare, and only got to the legal guardianship phase.)  I should also mention I am not a full-time student, only part-time. Plus I didn't live with anyone for the whole year. I only lived with my guardian until May (I got kicked out after highschool), and couchsurfed the entire time until college. 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If you filed, you will need to wait. 

If you didn't file, you can register as a non-filer with the IRS:

Unless you are a dependent, you should be eligible for a payment, but because of your situation, it may take a while for the payemnt to get to you. 

Try to stay patient. 

IRS non-filer link

What I am trying to find out is if I "Qualify" as a dependent. None of the online guides are helping me in the situation. I'm 19, but I only lived with my legal guardian for five months last year. They did not provide me with any support. I was a full time student for five months in highschool and some in college. I made under 3k but that's because I was unemployed and homeless for most of the year. Do I have to report this stuff to the IRS? Cause I feel like I shouldn't qualify.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

You qualify to be a dependent.

Hi! You are actually wrong. You get the stimulus check if you "qualify" as long as you aren't claimed. IRS helped me out and I will be getting a check. As long as you aren't claimed on anyways taxes you get it 🙂 You guys should probably update your info.

you must file a 2019 tax return if ANY of these are true

1) you received a 1099-misc form.

2) there were withholdings for federal or state taxes on your W-2

3) you made more than $12,200. 

if they are ALL false, there is no need to file. 

CAN you be a dependent of anyone else on a 2019 tax return?  Did your legal guardian claim you in 2019?  if the answer to either question is 'yes' you can't get the stimulus NOW (but keep reading)

what about 2020? will ANYONE be able to claim you? if yes, then still no stimulus.  if no, keep reading 

• The stimulus payments are really based on your 2020 tax return (income, dependents, etc).
  • The IRS is using either 2018 or 2019 – whatever is available  - to ESTIMATE that payment
  • When you file next year there will be a “settle up” section on the tax return.
  • f you are due more stimulus (and this would include where you simply never received it), you will receive it through the 2020 tax filing.

does that help? 

Hi, like i replied earlier, one of your statements is incorrect. The only way you would not receive a stimulus check is if you are CLAIMED. My correspondence with the IRS has confirmed that. If you qualify but you weren't claimed, and you filed or do the non-filers step, you will get the stimulus check. I think it's important everyone learn this so people like me who will be getting it (Mine is coming in three days) won't panic.

@foleos - who are you responding to?

here are the rules to qualify for the stimulus: 

A1.  You may be eligible to receive a Payment if you:

• Are a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien;
  • Cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return;
  • Have a Social Security number (SSN) that is valid for employment (valid SSN); and
    • Exception: If either spouse is a member of the U.S. Armed Forces at any time during the taxable year, then only one spouse needs to have a valid SSN
  • Have adjusted gross income below an amount based on your filing status and the number of your qualifying children.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies