Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

themaddoxhenry
Returning Member

Unable to e-file an amended 2021 return if changing filing status?

Hi, I am trying to change the filing status on my 2021 return on Turbotax Desktop, but when I try to submit I get an error saying that "Form 1040-X cannot be filed electronically if there is a change in filing status." Is that right even though I e-filed my original return? Am I also unable to e-file the amended return with California as well? If I do have to physically mail the amended return, do I also have to send copies of any attachments such as my W-2? Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

from what filing stats to what filing status are you changing. married taxpayers cannot change their filing status from joint to separate after the original due date

it could be either Turbotax or IRS blocking e-filing. if you can't e-file the Federal you can't e-file the state. there is nothing to be done except to mail it in. see Turobotax filing instructions. for just a change in filing status, no attachments would be required.  if you owe send payment. the IRS will bill you for any penalties and interest. use a service where you can track that the IRS got it.  be patient it could take the IRS 6 to 9 months maybe even longer to get to your return.  during this period, no status will be available.

@themaddoxhenry - it's an IRS rule that if you are changing filing status, it must be paper mailed.  There is no issue with Turbo Tax as it is beholden to that IRS rule. 

figure the amendment will take 9-12 months to process given the IRS backlogs. 

WHat is the change you are making? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies