Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbotax makes error on amended return

Recommendation: Always file for  a 6 month extension. Hopefully that extra 6 months will allow TT to fix most of the bugs.

socalengr
Returning Member

I had similar issues. I fought with it for hours on my second amendment. Everything was good in form view. But, in interview mode, when I went to print, it kept generating a Form 4898 with incorrect data that made its way back to the 1040 (even though the 1040 in form view was correct).

I finally realized that I could overwrite the amount of taxes paid on the 4898 directly, and that solved my provlem.

socalengr
Returning Member

Nevermind my answer. It is absolutely buggy. In form view, everything is correct. When I go back to interview to save and print, it is wrong.

rpu

I also ran into this bug in TurboTax 2022.  When I began to amend a return, the program incorrectly included an amount on line 13 of Form 1040-X (estimated tax payments).  It added that amount to the refund amount I had originally received.  That sum was then shown on Overpayment Smart Worksheet for line 18 (overpayment) on the 1040-X form.  I corrected the problem by entering zeros on line 13 and correcting the line 18 entry to match the refund from my original return.

Example.  Line 13 = 3800.  Original refund = 200.  Result. Overpayment amount on line 18 worksheet 4000. Impact. Calculation would have had me paying a corrected tax amount PLUS 3800!

Correction. Changed Line 13 = 0.  Overpayment worksheet line A = 200. Line 18 - 200.  (This can only be done in Form View.

Needless to say, I chose to print the corrected filings and mail them rather than trust that the electronic version would retain my corrections.

This may be coincidence, but I had inadvertently recorded estimated tax payments made to the state in the federal lines in an earlier draft of my return.  I corrected that problem before filing, but I wonder whether TurboTax had a scratchpad behind the scenes that did not zero those fields out.

-=Rich=-

jain

I had serious issues and IRS levied taxes and penalty after I filed amended return for 2022. Turbox tax amended logic seems to be seriously flawed and I am told do NOT use turbox tax to file amended returns!!

I'm having a similar issue.  I need to amend my 2020 return because i just realized that Turbo Tax eliminated my depreciation on a rental property.  So i needed to re-insert the depreciation information in an amendment.  And now the amended state return has an obvious math error that is causing me to owe the state even though the state should owe me a larger refund. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies