Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tracking refund

I got 2 emails 

one the day after I filed saying my taxes were “accepted”

then another one yesterday 6 days I filed saying your refund has been accepted by the federal gov.

but when I track my refund on IRS page it says that my taxes have only been received not accepted yet... why doesn’t it reflect it on the IRS page yet and give me a date? It usually happens so fast.

I am getting worried something is wrong. Although, I did already receive my advance. So I’m guessing that’s a good sign? 

thank you. 

also, how long after I file does it usually give a deposit date? 

why doesn’t my IRS page 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Tracking refund

You may be confusing the terms "accepted" and "approved."

An efile status of "accepted" means the return meets the basic requirements for the IRS to agree to START processing it.  It should show at the Tax Home in your Online account if it was accepted, and you should have also received an email with the notice.

See this FAQ:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/return-status/help/does-accepted-mean-my-refund-is-approved/00/265...

So you are finding your info OK in the IRS "Where's My Refund" tool?   That's additional evidence they received it.

https://www.irs.gov/Refunds

Once the IRS finishes processing and approves the refund, they should provide an expected send date.

The IRS says 9 out of 10 filers who efile and choose direct deposit will get their refunds within 21 days.  Some returns are processed fairly quickly, while others require additional processing due to specific items in the return. Some are pulled at random for more thorough investigation.

Tracking refund

ADDENDUM:

I also meant to include this above:

By law, the IRS will not issue a refund on tax returns claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit until February 15. So filers with those credits likely won't get their refunds until late February.

Tracking refund

Hi thank you. Your reply was very helpful. Yes I was getting accepted and approved mixed up. 
Every year I have been approved within 5 days, man. I don’t understand why I am still waiting for approval. I even received an advance already. 

So why is it still sitting there? 
Is it because of Child Credits? 
I am starting to get really worried. I saw online they aren’t going to be giving refunds til after the 23rd not 15th. Are you sure it’s 15th? 

Tracking refund

@ Rachcanfield1 wrote:

So why is it still sitting there? 
Is it because of Child Credits? 
I am starting to get really worried. I saw online they aren’t going to be giving refunds til after the 23rd not 15th. Are you sure it’s 15th? 

You may have seen the Feb. 22 date at the IRS website in reference to when the WMR tool status will change for many filers.  That's not necessarily a release date.  More about that below.

I didn't say that February 15 is when refunds would be sent out.  I was saying that they cannot legally do it until then.   That's why I said "by law."  The date of February 15 is the date when it becomes legal for the IRS to do so if you have one of those credits.  If you have EIC (earned income credit) or ACTC (Additional Child Tax Credit), then you are subject to the PATH Act that I mentioned in the comment above.    This has been the case for the last 3 years and affects everyone with those particular credits.

Once it becomes legal for them to start issuing, then the returns still have to continue through their system, etc. until they give you a send date.    By the time everything continues to go through their system and the receiving financial institution that has your account/card, the IRS has said that most filers with those credits won't actually see refunds in their accounts/cards until late February or early March. 

The following is the latest statement I see on the IRS website:

"The IRS expects the first EITC/ACTC related refunds to be available in taxpayer bank accounts or on debit cards by the first week of March, if they chose direct deposit and there are no other issues with their tax return."

When they use the term "by first week of March", that still gives some leeway if it arrives sooner than that.  So it could still come in late February.  But ultimately, there's no way to predict until you see a change in your info in the WMR status tool.  You'll just have to continue monitoring that tool.   

Be aware that the IRS has said that the information in that WMR or IRS2GO app may not update until after February 22, however.  So that may be why you saw that date.    So even if your refund is in the release pipeline soon after Feb. 15, you may not be able to see any change in the WMR tool until around Feb. 22.  That's when it may update, and you may be able to better tell when you are going to receive the refund.

See this IRS page for more info:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/refund-timing

Tracking refund

@Rachcanfield1 

Here's one more tip:

Each year there is a group of users who are subject to those credits who post in this forum and keep each other updated on their refunds by sharing their experience and giving others tips.  It's possible that that thread will have the first info on when people with those credits have started to see some movement toward their refund release.  People will post there when they see their status change.     They call themselves "PATHers" since they are affected by that PATH Act that mandates that delay.

If you want to watch that thread and participate with fellow users in your same situation, here's the thread.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/after-you-file/discussion/2020-pathers-eitc-actc-update-here/00/10...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies