Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The IRS is an absolute joke and should be embarrassed

So, I filed back in the last week of January. The IRS accepted the return the following day. Then, radio silence for 23 days. I call them and speak to a couple live reps. Neither were really all that helpful, but they gave me a basic idea of what the holdup on my return was. They wanted a copy of my 1095-A and an 8962 filled out and faxed over to them. I did so a couple days later. Then, nothing for over five weeks.

Then I get a 2645C letter in the mail from them the other day. They say they need another two months to process my return. You can't call them because there are no live reps available due to the COVID-19 situation. I get that. But when all this started didn't the IRS say business, albeit at a reduced rate, would continue as usual with employees working remotely? Why is no one answering the phones? Ridiculous.

I've been patient, I still continue to go to work everyday as I'm essential personnel (medical field), and my measly funds are being held hostage by the IRS. I'm holding out zero hope for this stimulus package. I'll believe it when I have a check in hand or that tool launches Friday to update my direct deposit info and the money is actually in my account. The IRS is all but guaranteed to screw this whole thing up, too. Now that I've ranted, and I've spoken to a TurboTax rep on the phone about the situation, does anyone have any idea about what I can do about this? Or am I just stuck due to world circumstances and an inept organization? Appreciate any feedback offered.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

I am sorry you are having to deal with this.  On your Letter 2645-C, there is an IRS telephone number for your use.  It should be a different number than the main IRS number.  Not all of the IRS is closed, so you may be in luck in getting hold of someone in regards to your Letter.  IRS Closures.

Your stimulus payment will still be processed, as the IRS does have your information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My banking info on my 2018 return is different than my 2019 return. Since they haven't processed my 2019 return yet, I don't think they've updated that particular info. I've tried calling. No dice.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

If the bank information in 2018 is no longer valid, the IRS could issue a paper check if you qualify for a stimulus check. However, it is more likely that the account information provided on the 2019 return would be referenced. The first link below provides the income limits and phaseouts of the stimulus check for your reference. 

The absolute worst case scenario if you are entitled to a stimulus check would be that you will get the payment when the Tax Year 2020 is filed by April 15, 2021.

Visit the following links for the most recent updates:

IRS: Economic Impact Payment Information Center

IRS Coronavirus Tax Relief

TurboTax Corona Virus Tax Center Updates

Thank you for your service to the country in the medical field. It is so essential and we appreciate you.

@Chris092881

Thanks, Kathryn. In regards to having to possibly wait till 4/21 for my stimulus check, if I update my direct deposit info this Friday when the IRS launches the Get My Payment tool on their website, wouldn't I get it before then? I thought that, and finding out roughly when people will receive their payouts, was the whole point of the tool?

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

Yes, If you have filed a 2019 tax return and need to change or add your direct deposit information, the IRS is preparing a portal for you to use. Please see this IRS website  Get Your Payment

They attempted to deposit my stimulus check into my old, non-active savings account this morning instead of the updated banking info on the 2019 return they were sent back in January. My statement about them being incompetent and inept is absolutely true. 

The IRS has my 93 year old moms direct deposit for about 15 years and  gets her Social Security by direct deposit every month for the past 20 + years.!!!  Now when I log in to the Governments "Get my Payment tool", which I have done for the past 2 weeks for my mom using her same info, Name, Social Security #, Address that she has has for years,  I IRS says her information is not valid even tho on the third of this month she had a direct deposit into her bank from Social Security.!!!  Now how can this be possible.  Do the IRS have Brains.???  Please explain.!

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You may get that response until her tax return is processed. It doesn't necessarily mean they don't recognize her identity information. 

IRS has stated that they will begin processing persons like your Mom soon.

That explains why you did not get anything yet. Check back in May timeframe.

Getting direct deposit of your SS check does not mean your stimulus payment will be direct deposited.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies