Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gomzalezjoey119
Returning Member

Taxes Due

Hello,

I file through mail and was getting ready to print my tax forms and send my payment. But my Tax Home screen shows I owe $956 but when I download my tax return, it shows I owe $4003. I had originally completed my taxes before the Unemployment Credit and was expecting to owe the $4003. Why does the amount now differ and what is it I actually owe?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Taxes Due

@ gomzalezjoey119 

Did you download/print from the Tax Home or from inside the return?

It can sometimes take a return PDF that one prints at the Tax Home a while to update and become available at the Tax Home.  I can tell you how you can try to get a more up-to-date PDF of your return by opening the return back up and printing from the Print Center.    Here's how:

• Log in, and if your return is closed because TurboTax thinks you were finished, here's how to open it back up:
    At the Tax Home or in the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents" for 2020, look for a link "Add a State."
  • Click on "Add a State."  (you don't really add one.  That's just to open your return back up.)
  • After the return is open, click in the left menu column on TAX TOOLS, then PRINT CENTER.
  • Then choose "Print, save, view this year's return."
  • The next screen should offer some options:  "Just my tax returns", or "include government worksheets (optional)", or "include government and TurboTax worksheets (optional.)"
  • See if one of those PDFs has what you need, and if it has the most up-to-date figure.

NOTE:  Remember all PDF tax documents and tax data files are very sensitive files, since they contain your personal ID info, financial data, and possibly bank account numbers, etc.  Be sure to store them safely and securely to guard against computer theft, hacking, etc.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Taxes Due

when you downloaded and printed it's probable that TurboTax had not been updated for ARP which exempted some of your UC from taxation. now when you open up your return the update is there to reflect the nontaxable UC. thus the amount you owe goes down. you don't have to pay until 5/17/2021 so you can wait to see if the IRS confirms the revised amount you owe. if not, I would pay the $956

Taxes Due

@ gomzalezjoey119 

Did you download/print from the Tax Home or from inside the return?

It can sometimes take a return PDF that one prints at the Tax Home a while to update and become available at the Tax Home.  I can tell you how you can try to get a more up-to-date PDF of your return by opening the return back up and printing from the Print Center.    Here's how:

• Log in, and if your return is closed because TurboTax thinks you were finished, here's how to open it back up:
    At the Tax Home or in the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents" for 2020, look for a link "Add a State."
  • Click on "Add a State."  (you don't really add one.  That's just to open your return back up.)
  • After the return is open, click in the left menu column on TAX TOOLS, then PRINT CENTER.
  • Then choose "Print, save, view this year's return."
  • The next screen should offer some options:  "Just my tax returns", or "include government worksheets (optional)", or "include government and TurboTax worksheets (optional.)"
  • See if one of those PDFs has what you need, and if it has the most up-to-date figure.

NOTE:  Remember all PDF tax documents and tax data files are very sensitive files, since they contain your personal ID info, financial data, and possibly bank account numbers, etc.  Be sure to store them safely and securely to guard against computer theft, hacking, etc.

gomzalezjoey119
Returning Member

Taxes Due

Thank you

gomzalezjoey119
Returning Member

Taxes Due

Great! It worked on my end and I was able to get an updated return. Thank you!

Taxes Due

@gomzalezjoey119  wrote:

Great! It worked on my end and I was able to get an updated return. Thank you!

Good news!  You're welcome.

Is there a particular reason you are printing and mailing the return instead of efiling?    If there was an efile problem, we might be able to help you efile, unless you prefer to file by mail.

If you do print and mail, don't forget to sign and date the return.  It's recommended to mail by a method that has tracking, such as certified mail, priority mail, etc.  Mail the Federal return to the IRS address designated for your state, and mail the state return (if applicable) to your state tax agency.  A page called the Filing Instructions should have the mailing instructions.

Or to confirm the address, see this IRS page for mailing addresses based on the state you are in.  It will show the address to use when a payment is enclosed, and a different address to use when a payment is not enclosed, so choose accordingly.

https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-paper-tax-returns-with-or-without-a-payment

You wrote:  "getting ready to print my tax forms and send my payment."

Were you planning to pay by check?   If you prefer to pay directly out of your bank account instead of by check, you can use the IRS Direct Pay webpage.   There is no fee for an electronic payment from your bank account.  There is a service fee if you choose to pay by credit/debit card.   If you pay on the IRS website, print and save the confirmation in your records.

https://www.irs.gov/payments

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies