Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rbliley
Returning Member

Tax return overwritten when attempting to amend

I started to amend my return following the amend existing, already filed option.  A message appeared that the software was not ready yet but to continue working on my return.  I then added the late 1099 but Turbo Tax then changed my original return and now my original sent return is lost. Turbo Tax message did say the software would not be ready until February 18th but it also said to continue working on my return, which I did and now it saved as the original return, not as an Amended return and my original is overwritten. Now when I attempt to amend an already filed return, it wants me to amend the return that I already amended. How do I get my originally sent return back?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

whatever changes you made you have to make again but in reverse.

get back to original filing BEFORE clicking AMEND.

rbliley
Returning Member

Yes, Thanks. i undid the changes saved and then started amend again. Thanks

My original return was overwritten when I amended. I had made only one change. Reversing the change did not restore the original. I then deleted the 1040X form and my federal taxes were restored to original. I attempted to delete the Maryland 502X form, but it keeps coming back. How do I delete the Maryland 502X form so that my Maryland state taxes will be restored to original?

I found how to delete my Maryland 502X form. It was different from the way I deleted the 1040X form. Rather than delete it in Forms like I did for the 1040X, I went to state taxes in Step-by-Step and chose the option that I do not need to amend my state taxes. This restored my state taxes to original.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies