Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Where do you file the middle class tax refund?

BTW, don’t try calling customer service! You don’t talk to a real person and just adds more frustration.

Can you successfully e-file if you just delete the MCTR 1099-MISC?  I've already filed so I can't test this.  I e-filed with no 1099-MISC and there was nothing in 8z or anywhere dependent on that.  With the latest update, I tried putting the 1099-MISC back in and, like others have found, TT said it wasn't taxable and nothing fed foward.  SO just delete it altogether.

I am going to wait until the 31st before I mess with it again. I was going to delete it and face the consequences later but decided against it. 🤞 

Hallelujah, I transmitted this morning and both Federal and CA state has been accepted. I finally deleted the 1099 Misc from my federal return and deleted anything pertaining to it on my state. I then saved my return, and logged out. I logged back in and reentered the 1099 Misc. it again stated that it would not be taxable on the state or federal return. On line 8z  of Schedule 1 it shows 0 $s but says “See Stmt”. At the end of my printed return, the last page is Additional Information for Schedule 1. It shows a CA payment of $700. And a minus $700. - stating “general welfare exclusion “. The same was true for the CA return. The CA 540 says see line 8z statement. An additional page was added to the return of the state return, again “additional information”, showing a line 8z payment, then a deduction stating general welfare exclusion.

And I’m getting back refunds that are the same as if I didn’t ever enter the 1099misc, but I did. I must agree this years TT has been pretty frustrating, but part of the blame goes to the IRS for not deciding if the CA MCTR was going to be taxable.

@sclhbob  what version of turbo tax are you using?

Desktop, TurboTax Deluxe that installed from a CD on my iMac

im thinking maybe the downloads are working but not the online only version

@sclhbob thanks for the heads up.
I followed your suggestion and the federal e-filing was (finally) accepted on the fifth attempt.
Using TurboTax desktop download for Windows.

Now that the Federal Return is accepted, I'll file the CA one.

Yeah LosRubios I was printing my returns and hit the transmit button in error but figured what the hell. It too about 25 minutes to get the Fed accepted and about an hour for the state.

I just submitted and 1 hour later federal and state accepted, so after deleting the 1099 and putting it back it fixed it and I’m glad this is done.  

Turbo tax, you need better instructions next time and next time do a test before letting people submit.

@rtt1969 what turbo tax version did you file with? online or desktop/download?

Thank you for all the great info! I will  follow what you did tomorrow. It is frustrating and dealing with a slab leak isn’t helping me any! 😱

I started out with a Deluxe version cd and TT suggested I upgrade to Premier which I did. I really appreciate this community! Thanks again 

Middle Class Refund doesnt show up on my california refund. Should I just wait it out and see if it will update?

It won't. When you enter it on your Federal Return, TurboTax will automatically subtract the value of the CA MCTR on Line 8, so your Federal Adjusted Gross income excludes the MCTR payment.

If your only 1099-MISC was the MCTR, then line 8 on the 1040 should be 0, if not, it will be the sum of the other 1099s excluding the value of the MCTR payment.

Your CA return imports the Federal Adjusted Gross Income as a starting point or your income (page 2 Box 13), so it already excludes the MCTR.

So if the Federal e-file was accepted, you can go ahead and e-file the CA return too (or print them out and mail them in, whichever delivery method you normally take)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies