Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jeanmcc
Returning Member

Return was rejected for /Return/ReturnData/IRS1040ScheduleC/TotalGrossReceiptsAmt - Data in the return is missing or invalid. Data in the return is missing or invalid. Federal Schedule C Profit or Loss From Business. The amount on Part I, line 1g, "Total

I do have a small business loss of -3424, I looked at my 2019 to compare and shows a loss on the line they are talking as well.  However, when I run the smart check, it is fine.

It says, review the information that appears on Scheudle C, profit or loss from business.  The amount on part 1, line 1g, "Total gross receipts or sales" cannot be a negative amount.   If the amount on line 1g needs to be modified, do not make the changes directly on the Schedule C.  Make the changes on the Schedule C Worksheet.  After making the necessary changes, review the return for errors and resubmit for electronic filing.  If the reject continues, you may need to print and files this return by mail.

I have done all this, 2019 was a negative, what is going on?  I want it submitted electronically!!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Return was rejected for /Return/ReturnData/IRS1040ScheduleC/TotalGrossReceiptsAmt - Data in the return is missing or invalid. Data in the return is missing or invalid. Federal Schedule C Profit or Loss From Business. The amount on Part I, line 1g, "Total

No, the problem is not that the business lost money it is the way the income is being reported.. A business loss, like 2019, shows on sch C, the bottom line, line 31 as profit or loss.

At the top of the form, is the income section. Income is positive numbers before all the expenses. Line 1g is the total of all income received. It is not possible to earn a negative income. Please review your income entries. Then review that your expenses are all down below in part II which is for expenses. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TJ62
Level 1

I have the same problem but the case is different. I have straight net business loss (small amount of profit and loss amount is larger - so I entered negative). How do I report it?

My e-file got rejected twice.

Please advise

TJ62
Level 1

Hello

Anyone who can answer here? 

thanks

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

@TJ62 But of course.  We are able to assist you if you would be so kind as to be specific with your details on the issue that you have.  Thank you for using TurboTax.

ge_philly

Umm, of course a business' income can be negative.  I have been filing Trader of Securities as a business for many years and being a complete inept trader, I have more years with loss than with positive gain from trading and never had problem with negative loss for efiling until this year.   So something changed on field check to disallow negative income, I assume it is on the IRS side since Smart Check was fine. So yeah, have to file by paper this year, suck balls.

TJ62
Level 1

Mine got rejected 4 times. I contacted turbo tax and they are clueless. But its hard for me to believe they don't have any resolution to this (regardless where the problem lies). I am sure there are loss making businesses. 

Thanks for sharing your experience too. Makes me feel better that it wasn't me doing something wrong.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Net income (profit/loss) can be negative, but gross receipts cannot be.   You cannot receive negative cash - but you can show negative cash flow by demonstrating more expenses than income received.  

Gross receipts is the amount of income received - this number can't be negative, but it can be zero.  If this number is zero, and then expenses are greater than the income, you will have negative net income.  However, you cannot have negative gross receipts.  This is what the error seems to be indicating the return is showing, which is causing the rejection.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies