Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Askwier

Return status

Why does my tax return say ready to mail but i received an email saying i still need to file them?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Return status

@ Askwier  wrote:  "Why does my tax return say ready to mail but i received an email saying i still need to file them?"

Where are you seeing "ready to mail?"   What status is showing when you log in and look at the Tax Home?  Is that where you are seeing a status of "ready to mail?"

If so, did you plan to file your return by printing and mailing?  And if so, did you actually print, sign, date, and mail it?   TurboTax does not mail it for you.  YOU have to do it if that's what you selected.   If you didn't physically do it, then it hasn't been filed.

If it turns out that you haven't yet filed at all, do you want to change it from filing by mail to efiling?   If so, we can tell you how to go back in to the return and change the filing method in order to efile it.

Askwier

Return status

I filed them online and it said it was complete and showed my federal and state amount I’ll receive but then i got an email saying i have To complete and e signature to receive them

Return status

@ Askwier     wrote:

I filed them online and it said it was complete and showed my federal and state amount I’ll receive but then i got an email saying i have To complete and e signature to receive them

How had you originally intended to file your returns--did you want to file them by mail, or did you want to efile them?    If you wanted to efile, you may not have proceeded to the final screen and clicked an orange button that says "Transmit Returns Now."    Also, if you had successfully efiled, you would have gotten an email 24-48 hours later saying if the efiled return was "accepted" or "rejected."

You said in your original question that your account is saying "ready to mail." If that is what you are seeing at the Tax Home,  I explained in my previous comment why that might be so.  Is it saying "ready to mail" for both the Federal and state returns?

If you had actually completed the efile process, the Tax Home would show a return status of either "accepted" ,"rejected" , or "pending."    It would not say "ready to mail."    A status of "Ready to mail" is only for a return that you plan to print and mail. 

If the return status at your Tax Home says "ready to mail", then it has not been efiled.  And TurboTax does NOT mail them for you.  If you want to file by mail, then you have to print, sign, date, and mail.   But it's better if you efile.   The IRS is not even processing paper returns right now until the Coronavirus calms down, so that would take much longer.  But they are still processing efiled returns.   If you don't want to file the returns by mail, then I'll tell you below how to go back and finish the efile process.

If you had successfully efiled, the status at the Tax Home would say either "accepted" or "rejected"  (or perhaps "pending" if recently efiled.)

Based on everything you've said so far (i.e., a status of "ready to mail"), it sounds like your returns have not been filed unless you actually printed, signed, dated, and mailed them.  If you didn't, then you can still efile.

So as long as you have NOT printed and filed by mail, and if you now want to efile your returns, here's how to finish efiling your returns. 

• Log into your account, and at the Tax Home or in the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents" for 2019, look for a link "Add a State."
  • Click on "Add a State."  (That doesn't really add one; that's just to open the return.)
  • Once the return is open, go through the REVIEW section to be sure everything is still in order.
  • Then go to the FILE section and change the filing method to efile.
  • Then continue on answering all the remaining screens and at the final step click a big orange button "Transmit Returns Now."
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies