turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Random email from green dot

I already filed my taxes and received my refunds direct deposited to Chime weeks ago. Yesterday, I got an email saying: As a reminder, your Turbo℠ Visa® Debit Card, issued by Green Dot Bank¹, will arrive soon. Although you were not approved for a Refund Advance, your refund amount, less any applicable fees and the cost of any products or services agreed to, will be loaded onto your card when the IRS or state tax authorities distributes your refund.

The email address looks phishy: no-reply @ greedot . co  has anyone else received something similar AFTER already receiving their refunds? I forwarded the email to GreenDot but I’m curious what’s going on here?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Most likely the wires got crossed since you applied for an advance ... ignore the false email. 

I applied just to see what it would say. It said I was APPROVED for $500 but I didn’t participate in the refund advance. I opted to wait. I already got my refunds direct deposited to my Chime account. That’s why I’m confused and also thinking this is a scam. 

I received the same email but have everything set up for my funds to be directly deposited into my checking account. Now I’m getting worried because the IRS is saying my funds are set to be deposited Wednesday and I’m afraid they are going to go to this Green Dot card that I have received No info on other then the email.

I got the same one!

Following. I also got the same email from Green Dot 2 hours ago. Freaking out now

Following. Very worried now

Hey guys. Check the email address that your email came from if it says . Com and not . Co it is probably legit. I googled the . Co one and didn’t find anything about that address but the . Com comes up in the search. I’m too afraid to click on any of the hyperlinks within the email. As I stated, I already got my refunds to DD to my Chime account weeks ago. If this is a scam email it won’t effect your return. If it’s a legit email I still don’t think it will effect your return if you didn’t opt for the refund advance. I’m not expecting any more refunds so that’s why I’m confused. I also never received a green dot card in the mail although this email says it’s mailed. Usually, my email is filtered pretty well and scam or phishing emails don’t make it to my inbox. But.... ??

even if I got some money I’m not expecting loaded onto a card that shows up randomly I’d be too afraid to use it. Until I get a card in the mail or until I find out if this email is legit or not I’m going to be wondering about it. I’ll update if I hear back from green dot. 

@HERBS  Thanks for the info and it makes me feel a little more at ease that you already received your DD. I went back through my taxes just to make sure I checked that I wanted my DD to go to my checking and that I put the correct account info and indeed I did. Thanks for keeping us updated as well .

@HERBS  I just double checked the email address it was sent from it it is greendot.co not .com it also says in fine print at the end that they are not affiliated with intuit?

Melissa1107
Returning Member

Following. Received the same email this morning. Freaked out and called the irs and was told that usually means the money went to the tax preparer(turbo tax) and then after they take their fees, they deposit the money into your bank account. So I’m hoping the info was correct because I was denied for an advancement, but opted to pay the fees with federal and gave my checking account info so I’m concerned about receiving the green dot email. 

If you applied for the advance and was denied then the refund will still make the same trip as before ... IRS to processing bank to card.   The only difference is you did not get some of the refund in advance. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies