Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chgdjf

Re: Problems with 1040 Filing 2023

I filed my 2023 1040 with Turbotax after many issues with the online software I bought through Costco.  I received an e-mail from turbotax saying the my 2023 Return had been filed.  I moved money to checking account to cover the taxes.  Fast forward...I look at my checking account after the filing deadline, and see that the tax payment has not been taken by the IRS.  Per Turbotax, I call the IRS.  I am told that there is no return on file for me for 2023.  I call Turbotax...and am told my return was NOT filed!!!  And now I have a late fee and interest due.  Please let me know if any of you have experienced this and what the next steps are.  Thank you!  Christina

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

I recommend logging back into TurboTax again and following the steps in this link to ensure your return was successfully e-filed and accepted.  If you do not see the information as provided in the following links, then your return was not filed and you will need to follow these steps to electronically file your return.  However, if you are seeing the "accepted" status in TurboTax, then your return was successfully e-filed.  

How do I check my e-file status?

What does "Accepted" mean?

If your return was successfully filed but your payment did not go through as you directed, you can go directly to the IRS website here to confirm the details of your account.  

When will my tax payment go through?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Did they not get your return or your payment?   Maybe your bank info was wrong and the IRS couldn't pull it out.

When you efile you get back 2 emails.  The first email only confirms the transmission.  The second email says if the IRS (or state) Accepted or Rejected your efile.  And check your spam folder for them.

If you efiled, In the PDF of your TurboTax return, the last page of the federal return should be an "electronic postmark" that shows your name, Social Security number, the date and time that you e-filed the return, and the date that the IRS accepted it.

For the Desktop program you have to check the filing status inside the program.  But I wouldn't trust that.  It is known to be wrong sometimes.  Go by the Accepted or Rejected email.

Open your return and go up to menu item

File > Electronic Filing > Check Electronic Filing Status

And if your efile rejected then your state didn't go through either so you might need to mail state.  Or you can still try to efile federal and state until Oct 15.  If it rejected we can probably tell you how to fix it.  Rejects are usually for the wrong 2022 AGI.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies