Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stack2485

I filed back in January and today I received a cpo5 letter what does that mean am I in trouble for something and how long does it take to fix before I get my refund

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
JulieR
Expert Alumni

I filed back in January and today I received a cpo5 letter what does that mean am I in trouble for something and how long does it take to fix before I get my refund

No, you are not in trouble. Sometimes IRS needs to further review your return to verify items such as:
  • The income you reported on your return
  • The income tax withholding amounts you reported on your return
  • The claims for tax credits you made on your return
  • The withholding claimed on your Social Security benefits
  • The household help you claimed
  • The Schedule C income you claimed

The following IRS link explains the reason you may have received this notice and provides guidance about when you can expect to receive your refund. https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-cp05-notice

Anthonyrbrowder
Returning Member

I recieved a cp05  I called and verified its marked April 1st and  it said I'd hear back from them by may 16th or have a refund I have neither and its July 25th  and neither has transpired... what do I do and what happens next?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@Anthonyrbrowder  First check the status of your refund at Where's My Refund? and make sure your refund has not been sent. If your refund has not been sent, call the contact phone number in the CP05 notice. Tell them it has been more than 90 days and you have not heard from them and have not received your refund.

Anthonyrbrowder
Returning Member

It has not changed it still says like it did with my first notice to contact them . When I tell them it's been forever and still nothing what happens next.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@Anthonyrbrowder  When you call them they'll tell you what happens next. You have to make the call. I don't know all the procedures, and even if I did, I don't know the details of your specific situation.

Anthonyrbrowder
Returning Member

I did and provided them the info off my taxes and they said they couldn't verify me even read them figures from 2017 still couldn't verify me... I was like well can you put un the nutes I was supposed to recieve correspondence or my check by may 16th and still nothing she didnt say anything just she cant look at my account or give me info....

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@Anthonyrbrowder  Make an appointment at an IRS local office (Taxpayer Assistance Center), or contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service.

Contact Your Local IRS Office

Local Taxpayer Advocate

Anthonyrbrowder
Returning Member

I actually called back I realized that I had made a mistake in the info I'd given them now a lady on there without even having to fully verify me like the other ladies did is putting in a 4442 form she said I should recieve either my refund or a phone call and took my phone number... is that good kinda confusing

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

At least there's some action. It can take up to 30 days to get a response to a Form 4442.

Anthonyrbrowder
Returning Member

What is a 4442 referral? And she took my phone number in case someone needed to call she said. So what's going on lol just more run around lol

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The Form 4442 referral means that the person you spoke to on the phone couldn't resolve your issue or answer your question herself, so she referred it to someone else. All you can do now is wait for them to get back to you, which should be within 30 days.

Anthonyrbrowder
Returning Member

She said she referred to another department and could be 60 days I hope it dont take that long to hear what's going on lol

I'm having the same issue. Did they finally send your return to you?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Use this link for information regarding the CP05 notice from the IRS.

Understanding Your CP05 Notice

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies