turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Wockkerjab2
Returning Member

My wife was hospitalized for surgery for 5 days. I spent several days at a nearby hotel then travelled back and forth the other days. Is the hotel or mileage deductible?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My wife was hospitalized for surgery for 5 days. I spent several days at a nearby hotel then travelled back and forth the other days. Is the hotel or mileage deductible?

The amount you include in medical expenses for lodging can't be more than $50 for each night for each person. You can include lodging for a person traveling with the person receiving the medical care. 

Wockkerjab2
Returning Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm aware of the $50 limit, but I wonder if I can claim it as my presence wasn't medically necessary and I was just stayed at the hotel as it was more convenient than driving back and forth from home. The same question applies to the travel expense of driving back and forth. That driving was necessary to bring my wife to and from the rehabilitation facility, something that we're still doing. Reading the IRS publications regarding medical travel expenses, I'm still not clear on the requirements for the deduction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies