turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My tax return was accepted over two months ago but no updates since. What can I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

My tax return was accepted over two months ago but no updates since. What can I do?

Just sit tight.  The IRS is seriously backlogged due to all the new tax laws and extra stimulus filings, as well as unprocessed 2019 returns left over from the COVID shutdown.  Lots of other folks are still waiting (some longer than you), so please continue to be patient.  Also see:

Where is my damn IRS tax refund? New answers emerge as delays frustrate millions (msn.com)

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

The IRS issues most refunds from e-filed returns in about 21 days, although some returns take more time to review.    To find out where your refund is, first check your e-file status.   If it's been accepted, you can begin to track your refund at the IRS Where's My Refund? site.  You'll need your Social Security number or ITIN, filing status, and the exact amount of your refund to check your status.

If it has been more than 21 days since your e-filed return was accepted, you can call the IRS directly to check on your refund status.   Please see this discussion as the user explains how to work with the phone system prompts to get to a live person there.    As a last resort, you can try Taxpayer Advocate Services, see links below.  

_-_-_-

The Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) is aware that taxpayers are experiencing more refund delays this year than usual. Typically, the IRS processes electronic returns and pays refunds within 21 days of receipt. However, the high volume of 2020 tax returns being filed daily, backlog of unprocessed 2019 paper tax returns, IRS resource issues, and technology problems are causing delays. This is due, in part, to the IRS’s need to manually verify large numbers of Refund Recovery Credits (RRCs), as well as Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Advance Child Tax Credit (ACTC) 2019 adjusted income lookback claims. Once a return is processed by the IRS and loaded on to the IRS systems, TAS may be able to assist with delayed refunds if you meet our case criteria. Please review our case criteria tool to determine if TAS may be able to assist.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I filed and was accepted March 10th, 2020 and I am like you still nothing it just says "processing" and Ive even called and was told "just wait". I feel your pain and this is getting ridiculous I really need my refund.

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

A whole lot of people are experiencing the same issue.  

If you filed your 2020 taxes and haven't received your refund, your experience is very common -  the IRS is encountering major delays in processing 2020 tax returns, and is almost impossible to reach by phone. 

The IRS Where’s My Refund? site is still the best first place to go for information. 

Why is this happening? Tax season (normally Jan 1 - Apr 15) is the busiest time of the year for the IRS. This year, they have also had to deal with major changes in the tax law, including ones that were passed retroactively in the past two weeks. They are also struggling with the same COVID workplace and workforce issues the rest of the country has encountered. 

See the following article for additional information on Where is my damn IRS tax refund? 

@marthalane1

I filed my tax return on May 15th, 2021.    I had my gross income for 2020, and so, I sent it through by mail.   But, I had no response from IRS.   Now, I found my gross income for 2020.   If I send my application now eletronical now,  can duplicate filing cause any problem?   I, now as trying to track my application from computer (filed through Turbo Tax;   I am unable to track it.   Can you help?   Thank you.

[email address removed]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies