Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kat98
Returning Member

My amended return was completed, when will I get my check?

My amended return was completed 8/20 and is still haven't gotten my check. How long do they take to deliver?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

31 Replies

In normal times, it takes about 16 weeks for an amended return to be processed.  Because of COVID, the IRS is behind on millions of returns.  There is no way to know when they will get to your amended return.  Some IRS employees are estimating that they will not be completely caught up by this time next year.  

Due to COVID, the IRS is requesting that taxpayers do not call about amended returns.   They are processing them as they come in.  Start checking the Where's My Amended Return site after three weeks.

kat98
Returning Member

My amended return is completed and said my check should have been mailed out already, I'm mainly wondering how long it will take for the check to reach my mailbox because its been 5 weeks since its been adjusted and 2 weeks since completed

In that case, contact the IRS and ask them to put a trace on that check.

I filled my amended unemployment taxes but it's asking me to mail my amended refund but I don't know how to get it off the TurboTax I don't know a web site to irs to send it please help me

Not sure if you got your refund but I had the same issue. My amended return was completed in September and I never received a refund. I called a tax advocate. They told me that they started to process the return and then marked it as completed but never actually made any adjustments so no one else was working on it because it was marked as completed. They did it over the phone and now my transcript says I will recieve my refund on nov. 29. Also I will finally get my advance child tax payments in December. I wasn’t receiving them due to the amended return being in limbo.

I'm having the same issue. Online it says it was completed 11/12/21. When I call, naturally you can't get through. The automated system tells me something was mailed and I should have revived it by 11/12/21. We have informed delivery and there has been nothing from the IRS. Online it gave me a number with an extension code to call but they're either to busy it disconnects me or I sit on hold for literally hours and eventually get a "technical difficulties" message. I am so desperate for our taxes back. This is so ridiculous. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

I believe you are saying that you just filed your return in November, in which case it is too early for a refund. The IRS stating a letter received by the date you filed does not make sense, I can see why you are trying to reach them.

The IRS has mostly finished returns filed by April. Please see IRS Operations During COVID-19 to stay informed and for help.

@Bugsmommy04

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

No, I filed in February. They made me amend a box that was accidentally clicked in November. It took them that long to tell me to do that. Then it says Amended return accepted 11/12/21 and I should have a letter by 11/12/21 explaining the acceptance. It's all stupid and the IRS is dumb. I just want my money. It's been almost an entire year of this nonsense. 

After getting amendment completed 8/20, the IRS sent a letter dated 11/15 that arrived early December.

After calling, I discovered the expected check was marked UNDELIVERABLE.

When IRS decides not to send the check, it gets marked UNDELIVERABLE. 

In my case, I understand why that happened for other reasons I won't go into.

This entire time I've only been able to get through twice. Both of which were before the letter to tell me to amend. Both times they told me nothing was wrong and they were just behind. This is so ridiculous. I'm sorry about your luck as well. I just want my money. 

@Bugsmommy04 and @kat98 what was the eventual outcome of your situation? I am in the same boat this year, my Amended return was "processed" 11/11/22 and then marked "completed" on 12/2/22 but I still have received no communication of any kind in the mail. 

I was able to get ahold of them on the phone and they said check back in 30 days. My amended return was received by them on March 19, 2022 so we're very close to a full year of this. 

Thank you in advance for any info, I hope your situation worked out!

I had the same issue last year and I contacted a tax advocate who processed it with me on the phone and I had my money the following week. 

How is everyone getting in touch with a tax advocate? My amended return was completed on December 9 but there aren't any changes to my transcripts and no word via mail. 

So I amended on jun 11th. Where's my refund says it was accepted June 11, adjusted November 18 and completed December 9. It gave me a number to call with the wrong extension so I was transfered and the woman I spoke to finally said that she does not see anywhere that it was accepted. She has no clue what I'm looking at bc nothing has been done to it yet. Then told me it takes 6-8 weeks after it's accepted. 

•  
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies