Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Miscaluclated EITC?

I received a letter from the IRS stating:

"We changed the amount claimed as Earned Income Credit on your tax return. The amount claimed as Earned Income Credit was figured or entered incorrectly on your tax return.

The Earned Income Credit is figured on worksheets in the tax return instructions. By completing the worksheets you compute a dollar amount that you use to find the amount of your Earned Income Credit from the Earned Income Credit Table. This amount is then entered on your tax return. Review your Earned Income Credit worksheets in your tax return instructions and Schedule EIC. Check for errors in math. Check to see you used the correct column in the Earned Income Credit Table for determining your Earned Income Credit."

I bought TurboTax Premier and paid for the Audit Protection, however I've called 3 times already and no one has successfully transferred me to the appropriate department to help me resolve this issue.  Each time I've been "transferred" the phone call has been disconnected.

I though there 100% accuracy guarantee? At least that is what is advertised on the website.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Miscaluclated EITC?

Usually when  the IRS changed the amount if EIC it is because they changed something else, such as adding income that was reported to the IRS but you failed to enter on your tax return so the EIC calculates differently after adding that income.  If that is what happened and you failed to report income then it is your error.   The letter should tell you why the EIC was changed.

If you purchased audit defense then see:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/when-will-i-get-my-audit-defense-membership-in...

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Miscaluclated EITC?

I filed my taxes using Turbo Tax in Feb 2020. Then received a message from the IRS that they changed the amount claimed of EIC on my return. "The amount claimed as EIC was figured or entered incorrectly on you tax return". The discrepancy is the amount of EIC on 1040 line 18a & b. Since I do the "walk me through" and enter amounts that are asked for then let Turbo Tax calculate I do not know where the miscalculation is. Regardless of that I don't know how/where to fix it in the "last years refund amount". Refund amount is $235.90 less than amount Turbo Tax shows. How do I fix this?

Miscaluclated EITC?

"Miscalculation" is very misleading and does not mean that the math is wrong - it means that the IRS changed something else on the tax return and now the EIC calculates differently.    Usually the change they made changed the AGI due to unreported income, and that in turn changes the amount of EIC.   The letter should tell you exactally what else they changed with it the actual reason.  

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies