Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Letter 5071C

@rozmere wrote:

I don't understand your response @CassLO You posted a link to the page that I was talking about. On that page that you linked to it says, "Call the toll-free IRS Identity Verification telephone number in the 5071C letter." which is horrible advice to give someone who isn't sure that the letter they received was legitimate. If it's a scam letter then the website it telling you to call the scam number instead of just telling you what the legitimate number is. Do you understand what I mean now? The number in the letter can not be found anywhere on the website to verify that it's legitimate.

Your concern about receiving a scam letter is understandable since this is a common letter the IRS sends to taxpayers.  The IRS website you referenced has valid information.

However, to verify the veracity of the IRS letter you received, call the IRS main phone number.

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.
Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
It should then transfer you to an agent.

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

Letter 5071C

@rozmere  I am sorry if I worded improperly, please see this link I got a 5071C letter from the IRS for the correct contact information as DoninGA Level 15 posted above.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mcmorgan723
Returning Member

Letter 5071C

I received a letter 5071C to verify myself I followed the letter and the directions and I do not have one document that they will except what should I do

Letter 5071C

@mcmorgan723 wrote:

I received a letter 5071C to verify myself I followed the letter and the directions and I do not have one document that they will except what should I do

IRS website for identity verification - https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/identity-verification-for-irs-letter-recipients

If you can't verify your identity online or don't have the required documentation, please contact us using the toll-free number listed on your letter.

To expedite the process when calling, you must have:

• Your 5071C letter, 5747C letter, 5447C letter, or 6331C letter
  • The income tax return (form 1040,1040-PR, 1040-NR, 1040-SR, etc.) for the year shown on the letter 
    • Note: A Form W-2 or 1099 is not an income tax return
  • Any other prior year income tax return
  • Any supporting W-2's, 1099's, Schedule C, Schedule F, etc.

You can contact your local IRS office. See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1 or call 1-844-545-5640 to set up an appointment

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies