Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

bingxia01
Returning Member

IRS request for 1040X copy after late filed 8606. Thank you!

If I'm going to include form 8606 which I already filed last year as supporting doc with my 1040x, what sign date should I use? Is it the date I filed last year or the date I file the 1040X this year?

Also for the return address, the IRS letter provides one address in Atlanta for inquires and one address in Kansas City for payments. Since I do not have any payment, which address should I use? I can see the letter is sent from Atlanta.

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

IRS request for 1040X copy after late filed 8606. Thank you!

Just use the current date for Form 8606.  

As for the address, IRS letters are generally very concise as to where to reply.  

Don’t send it to Kansas City since, as you say, you’re not including a payment.  If the letter isn’t specifically telling you to reply to the Atlanta address, but just telling you to file Form 1040-X if needed, then use the address in the Where To File section of the Instructions for Form 1040-X (Rev. September 2021).  

Be sure to attach a copy of the letter you received, and you might want to attach a brief letter of explanation, just to tell what you’re doing and why.  This way, even if your mail winds up in the wrong IRS office, it will be routed to the correct office.

@bingxia01

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies