Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS rejected return looking for 1095-A because of unemployment but have 1095-B from VA

I was unemployed for a good portion of the year but have a 1095-B from the VA for full year coverage.  I filed my return but it was rejected as the unemployment benefits triggered a need for form 1095-A which I do not have.  It's now looking for a binary upload?  How to I fix this since a 1095-B is not asked for?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

IRS rejected return looking for 1095-A because of unemployment but have 1095-B from VA

Since there is no longer an insurance requirement, you are only asked about having a 1095-A.

It should not be related to your Unemployment in any way.

Try the following workaround:

"There was an update with available information on Error Code F8962-070  today.  The IRS is rejecting returns with this code because they believe you or someone on your return had insurance through the marketplace. If you or anyone in your tax household had Marketplace insurance last year, you  may still just be on their list.

You can try to enter $1 for the 1095.  This will not affect anything on your return, but having the form there may get the IRS to accept your return.  To do this take the following steps:

• Click Deductions and Credits
  • Scroll down to Medical and Click Show More
  • Click Start or Revisit next to the ACA
  • As you walk through the questions, you will be asked if you received a 1095-A.  If you did NOT, click YES.
  • Enter 0's for the Marketplace identifier and Policy number.
  • Enter $1 for January monthly premium amount and SLCSP
  • Walk through to the end and submit your return. "

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

You may have indicated that you have a 1095-A form or a government health insurance plan that issues Form 1095-A. Delete the 1095-A form. You don't need to enter Form 1095-B. It's for informational purposes. Keep it with your tax documents. 

• If you're using TurboTax Online software and need to delete a form, click here.
  • If you're using TurboTax CD\Download software and need to delete a form, click here

I deleted the form and refiled and it rejected again.  Looking for the 1095-A form because of having unemployment insurance.  I can't seem to find a way around this.  

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

1095-A has nothing to do with unemployment.  It only has to do with health insurance coverage received through the government marketplace.  If your health coverage was received through the VA for the entire year then you do not have a 1095-A.  If you answered yes to the question of whether you had a 1095-A then you need to adjust that.

To get to the question type 1095-A in the search bar on the upper right.  Then click "jump to".  The first question that pops up should be "Did you receive a 1095-A?"  You answer no and see if it fixes the problem.

The system keeps changing my answer from no to a yes and thus rejecting the return.  There is a page before it that comes up that asks if unemployment was received or approved or not.  I've tried answering it both ways yes and no but the next sheet is did you receive a 1095-A.  I keep saying no, yet when I go past that page and then back it shows the system has changed the no to a yes.  UGH!  How can I get rid of this???

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

@helmanenterprise

Well, this is a work around that has helped some, but not all clients with this issue.

Try this:

If you do not have a 1095A and did not have marketplace coverage but the section seems to keep defaulting to "yes" This is not a defect, but a case of a form hanging on in the return.

If it is stuck in a loop asking for a 1095-A and will not show you the screen to answer No, Try going to the 1st screen and select something different than your first answer. 

For instance, if you answered all year, try pick who and what months.  This should reset the questions, so you can select No on the less common plans screen, as a Yes there will require 1095-A entry.  Then you can return to the beginning and select the correct option, as it will have you out of the loop.

Or

If that does not resolve the error, here are the directions to delete the health forms from your return in the online versions of TurboTax.  This will delete the form and the entries.  To delete a Form go the far left, in the black vertical menu

·         Click on Tax Tools

·         Click on Tools

·         Under Other helpful links, click on Delete a form

·         Scroll down to form 8962 and click on Delete

·         Click on the blue Delete Selected Form

·         At bottom Continue

·         Then the same for Healthcare Entry Sheet

·         At bottom Continue with my Return

I had already deleted the forms and that didn't help.  I can't locate the place to indicate the first screen to say whether there was insurance or not.  It keeps coming back to the same place.  I even deleted the unemployment 1099 as it triggers a question that is asked right before the 1095A page which is - did you receive or were entitled to receive unemployment compensation.  I've tried answering both yes and no and neither works. When you hit continue, it goes to the 1095A page next and that's where it keeps defaulting to a yes even though I click on no.  I'm getting frustrated.  

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Since there is no longer an insurance requirement, you are only asked about having a 1095-A.

It should not be related to your Unemployment in any way.

Try the following workaround:

"There was an update with available information on Error Code F8962-070  today.  The IRS is rejecting returns with this code because they believe you or someone on your return had insurance through the marketplace. If you or anyone in your tax household had Marketplace insurance last year, you  may still just be on their list.

You can try to enter $1 for the 1095.  This will not affect anything on your return, but having the form there may get the IRS to accept your return.  To do this take the following steps:

• Click Deductions and Credits
  • Scroll down to Medical and Click Show More
  • Click Start or Revisit next to the ACA
  • As you walk through the questions, you will be asked if you received a 1095-A.  If you did NOT, click YES.
  • Enter 0's for the Marketplace identifier and Policy number.
  • Enter $1 for January monthly premium amount and SLCSP
  • Walk through to the end and submit your return. "

Thank you so much!!! It worked!  The return was accepted.  I'm very grateful for your help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies