Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

I went into Where's My Refund and the status bar was gone, and the message said We are still processing your return we will give you a date soon. Should I be concerned?

If it shows ''in process'', that means that only the IRS knows what the delay is, unfortunately.   They are reviewing something on your return, but that something could be anything.  You can either try contacting them or wait for correspondence that will arrive by US mail.   I have added links to the Taxpayer Advocate website below as they may be able to assist you in getting the answers you need and can't be found here.  

Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions - Link lists possible reasons for the delay.

Here is a link to a thread that details how to go through the automated phone prompts to reach a live representative.  The steps may save you some frustration.   You can also search for a local IRS office in your area.  It may be easier to contact a local representative than using the main phone number.    You can use the ''make an appointment'' option even if you have no intention of going to the office, but that may get you to a live person on the phone that can provide you some info.   They have access to the same information.   Also, please use the Taxpayer Advocate (a wing of the IRS) criteria tool as you may be able use their free service to find out more information. 

@Varsity

@Jjsmuz06

@smitty152473 - I believe the IRS website vs. the wmr page was a typo - the wmr site is the IRS website....

The Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) is aware that taxpayers are experiencing more refund delays this year than usual. Typically, the IRS processes electronic returns and pays refunds within 21 days of receipt. However, the high volume of 2020 tax returns being filed daily, backlog of unprocessed 2019 paper tax returns, IRS resource issues, and technology problems are causing delays. This is due, in part, to the IRS’s need to manually verify large numbers of Refund Recovery Credits (RRCs), as well as Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Advance Child Tax Credit (ACTC) 2019 adjusted income lookback claims. Once a return is processed by the IRS and loaded on to the IRS systems, TAS may be able to assist with delayed refunds if you meet our case criteria. Please review our case criteria tool to determine if TAS may be able to assist.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I went into Where's My Refund and the status bar was gone, and the message said We are still processing your return we will give you a date soon. Should I be concerned?

Direct deposit 

Also can download the tpg group app. Bank tt uses and enter same info ss# filing status and amount. Will tell you if they received any funds and funds taken for .....yes you guessed it their lousy service that has us all here waiting. And the bank fees as well.  Lmk if this helps. 😉

Why does it says my refund is still being processed and I filed on February 26, 2021 for my 2020 taxes

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Sorry that you are having an issue with the IRS.  TurboTax does not issue refunds or Stimulus checks.  TurboTax is a tax preparation platform.  If you have submitted your return to the IRS, then TurboTax is out of the picture.  IRS is forbidden to discuss your information with TurboTax because of privacy laws.  There could be several reasons why you have not received your Stimulus or refund.  IRS is just now starting to process refunds again so it should be soon.

Same here smfh 

I filled my return in 2/21/21 and I have yet to hear ANYTHING. I had the simplest return anyone could EVER have, so it is beyond my why I haven't received anything yet.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

According to this IRS update as of April 30th:    

The IRS is now opening mail within normal timeframes. The IRS has also made significant progress in processing prior year returns. As of April 23, 2021, we had 1.3 million individual tax returns received prior to 2021 in the processing pipeline. Including current year returns, as of April 23, 2021, we had 16.9 million unprocessed individual returns in the pipeline. Unprocessed returns include those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.  

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We are processing returns received over the summer and fall in 2020 due to the extended July 15, 2020 tax filing due date. While the majority of 2019 refund returns have been processed, in some cases, we are processing tax returns that were mailed with a payment even though payment associated with these returns have been processed by the IRS. However, we are rerouting tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened in the order received. As the return is processed, it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues depends on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.  

What you should do: If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.  

Accepted 2/16. Nothing since. Called and told there’s nothing wrong or flagged. No info needed. The bars have been gone for weeks. I have the easiest most straightforward return. I’ve no received stimulus one or two as they’ll be included in my return. I haven’t gotten any third stim because they “ have nothing to go on until taxes get approved “. How long do they have? Has anyone else been waiting over 11 weeks? 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

According to this IRS update as of April 30th:    

The IRS is now opening mail within normal timeframes. The IRS has also made significant progress in processing prior year returns. As of April 23, 2021, we had 1.3 million individual tax returns received prior to 2021 in the processing pipeline. Including current year returns, as of April 23, 2021, we had 16.9 million unprocessed individual returns in the pipeline. Unprocessed returns include those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.  

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We are processing returns received over the summer and fall in 2020 due to the extended July 15, 2020 tax filing due date. While the majority of 2019 refund returns have been processed, in some cases, we are processing tax returns that were mailed with a payment even though payment associated with these returns have been processed by the IRS. However, we are rerouting tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened in the order received. As the return is processed, it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues depends on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.  

What you should do: If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.  

10 weeks..im kind of happy to see this from you because I wonder sometimes ...im not happy your in this position personally but that someone else is also dealing with the same as me

Uncle and my two cousins still don't have theirs either we all getting played

Unfortunately, Congress keeps throwing additional tasks at the IRS, but without any extra funding to implement them.  As a result, the IRS is seriously backlogged due to all the new tax laws and extra stimulus filings, as well as unprocessed 2019 returns still left over from the COVID shutdown.   Lots of other folks are still waiting, so please continue to be patient.  Also see:

IRS is holding millions of tax returns, delaying refunds (msn.com)

IRS tax refund delay: Still calling the phone number? Here’s why you can’t get through (msn.com)

Called the IRS lately? Agency struggles to hire customer service reps despite pandemic unemployment ...

Lmk1981
Returning Member

My name is Lisa Kelly Y'all did my taxes for me the IRS put a stop on my taxes said they wanted to identify who I was okay they did that my taxes were sent out on April 14th to a bank account I do not have I do not have the the card that y'all gave me for the $250 that I borrow before I got my taxes so I need to find out or you need to find out where my taxes are

Lmk1981
Returning Member

No they told me that y'all put my money in an account that I didn't have I didn't have a an account I want to speak to somebody who's going to tell me where my money is and what account y'all put it in

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies