Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I just efiled my tax returns taoday and both tax returns were rejected. IRS indicated that the EIN on my W-2G forms. How do I correct them if the Turbo Tax program automatically put the hyphen between the 2nd and 3rdnumber and the W-2G forms do not have the hyphen? I only have afew days before the deadline of Aug. 15 to resolve this. Thanks guys.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I just efiled my tax returns taoday and both tax returns were rejected. IRS indicated that the EIN on my W-2G forms. How do I correct them if the Turbo Tax program automatically put the hyphen between the 2nd and 3rdnumber and the W-2G forms do not have the hyphen? I only have afew days before the deadline of Aug. 15 to resolve this. Thanks guys.

@pveneracion 

See if this FAQ describes your rejection in regards to your W-2G.  Is it this?

E-file rejection error FW2G-502: "Form W-2G, Payer EIN must match data in the IRS e-File database"

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/e-file-rejection-error-fw2g-502-form-w-2g-payer-ei...

As I said in my prior comment, the hyphen situation is not the reason.   Verify that you are entering the correctly-spelled Payer name and EIN, even if you have to phone the Payer and confirm the name spelling and EIN digits.    If everything is correct, and it still rejects, then you'll need to print the returns and file them by mail--the Federal to the IRS, and the state return to the state tax agency.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

What makes you think the hyphen was the reason?   What was the exact rejection error code and message?    Was it rejection code FW2G-502?  If so, you have to be sure the Payer's name and EIN are being entered correctly; i.e., that the numbers are correct.

TurboTax always automatically inserts a hyphen after the first 2 numbers when entering an EIN, no matter if it's a W-2G as you described, or any other form such as 1099-G, 1099-MISC, 1099-R, or whatever.   That shouldn't make a difference, even if your copy of the W-2G doesn't have the hyphen in the EIN.    Did you otherwise enter the numbers (and Payer's name) correctly?

If an efiled Federal return is rejected, the efiled state return automatically rejects, too.

@pveneracion 

See if this FAQ describes your rejection in regards to your W-2G.  Is it this?

E-file rejection error FW2G-502: "Form W-2G, Payer EIN must match data in the IRS e-File database"

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/e-file-rejection-error-fw2g-502-form-w-2g-payer-ei...

As I said in my prior comment, the hyphen situation is not the reason.   Verify that you are entering the correctly-spelled Payer name and EIN, even if you have to phone the Payer and confirm the name spelling and EIN digits.    If everything is correct, and it still rejects, then you'll need to print the returns and file them by mail--the Federal to the IRS, and the state return to the state tax agency.

You are correct.  The hyphen was not the issue.  I found the error and resubmitted the returns.  The returns are now accepted.  Thank you!!

@pveneracion wrote:

You are correct.  The hyphen was not the issue.  I found the error and resubmitted the returns.  The returns are now accepted.  Thank you!!

Great news!!   You're welcome.  I'm glad you were able to successfully efile.  Good luck!

rodney7as
Returning Member

I’m having the same problem. So what was your error?

@rodney7as wrote:

I’m having the same problem. So what was your error?

This is an old thread from last year so that user may or may not return.   When looking at old threads, please read the entire thread and be sure your issue is exactly the same.  The user above didn't specifically say, but I presume that either the EIN was not correct on the form (or mistyped when entered), or perhaps the Payer name was misspelled.

If this is your situation, see the updated FAQ for Error FW2G-502:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies