Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I incorrectly checked the box that I could be claimed as a dependent; my parent could not claim me

On both my 2018 and 2019 returns, I incorrectly checked the box stating that someone could claim me as their dependent.  In both of these years I was 22/23 years-old and was at least 5 months out of college (Graduated June of 2018). I confirmed with my parents that they did not claim me as their dependent for either of those years because I was not a qualified dependent. I have already filed and received my return for both years.

My question is: should I amend my tax returns for 2018 and 2019 in order to correctly indicate that no one else can claim me? Would I expect an amended return for this? In other words, should I have received an additional tax deduction on my taxable income by claiming myself? Did I forego a tax deduction by checking this box incorrectly?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

I incorrectly checked the box that I could be claimed as a dependent; my parent could not claim me

Yes, you should file an amended return for your 2018 and your 2019 year.  Here is a link on how to file your 2019 Amended Return.   Here is a link on how to file your 2018 Amended Return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks Regina.

As for the stimulus check (economic impact check) due to covid-19, do you know if checking this box that "someone else can claim me as their dependent" will affect my eligibility to receive a stimulus check? I'm concerned because the process to amend a return takes 16 weeks and I'm fairly certain this box will NOT be corrected by the time stimulus checks are issued.

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

Yes, this should negatively affect your eligibility for the stimulus payment.

Since you selected "someone else can claim me as their dependent" on your return, this indicated to the IRS that you couldn't claim yourself on your return, and you were a dependent on someone else's return.  And if you’re a dependent of someone else, you’re not eligible for the payment.

As far as the timing of an amended return, that really isn't relevant.  You're not eligible at this point in time, and the only way you will be eligible is to amend your return.  That is, you wouldn't get the stimulus check when they're first sent out, but will most likely make yourself eligible after you amend.

md22

Hi, I'm in the same situation. I checked the same box, but no one claimed me as a dependent. Is it unlikely that I will be getting the stimulus check? How to I fix this if that is the case? 

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

@md22

Yes, the fact that you selected "someone else can claim me as their dependent" on your return makes it unlikely that you’ll receive a stimulus check.

You'll need to amend your return, and specifically the “dependent” question.  Assuming that you’re otherwise eligible for the stimulus check – see TurboTax's Everything to help you get your stimulus check as soon as possible page to see if you qualify – this would complete the information that the IRS needs to view you as eligible.

Please see the TurboTax Help article "How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed" for instruction on how to amend your previously-filed tax return.

You should wait to file your amended return until you get any refund you may have coming from your original return.  Even if your original return has been accepted by the IRS, it's still possible that the IRS could change your refund or balance due on that return. 

md22

Thank you for your help, I'm submitting an amendment as soon as possible. Do you have an information as to if the IRS is still approving mail-in forms? Will this delay the process? I need the money as soon as possible and would like to know this. 

Also, do I need to indicate that I would like to be considered for the Stimulus Package in order for them to recognize the changes? 

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, according to the IRS's IRS urges taxpayers to use electronic options; outlines online assistance page, the IRS isn't currently processing mailed paper returns.  This would include amended returns, since they must be filed on paper and mailed. Generally, a mail-in amended return takes 6 weeks to process, but at this point, it is impossible to tell how long it would take. 

You don’t need to indicate anything about the stimulus on your amended return.

And, just so you know… taxpayers in your scenario have two options:

1. They can file an amended return indicating that they can't be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return, and the IRS will get to it when staffing gets back to normal, or

2. They can wait to claim the stimulus amount until they file their Tax Year 2020 tax return (i.e., the return they'll file next year), indicating they can't be claimed as a dependent by someone else, and get their stimulus payment as part of their tax refund next year. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies