turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I get paid on W2. In 2019, I lost $7000 investing in a start-up in Turkey as an angel investor. Can I  claim this loss in my 2019 tax return? Will I get audited?

I am a US citizen. I already filed my tax return for 2019. In addition to my W2 income, as a side income, there were self-employment income and expenses in my 2019 tax return (from Postames food delivery as a driver). I also invested $7000 in a small start-up in Turkey as an angel investor, but the project was shut down due to legal issues and I lost this investment. I forgot to include this $7000 as a loss in my 2019 tax return. Can I  claim this loss in my 2019 tax return?  Will I get audited if I file an amended 2019 tax return including this $7000 loss?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I get paid on W2. In 2019, I lost $7000 investing in a start-up in Turkey as an angel investor. Can I  claim this loss in my 2019 tax return? Will I get audited?

Go to this TurboTax website to download the 2019 amend software - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/amend/ty19/

Anonymous
Not applicable

will you get audited? totally in the hands of the IRS.  since the IRS only audits a small % of returns you stand a good chance of not getting audited, but no one can say for sure.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies