turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I did not receive a 1099g for federal & state unemployement in 2020. I requested one from CO in March and still haven't received & not on my state UI portal. What do I do

How do I report unemployment income for 2020 if I do not have a 1099g? Have requested a form twice from my state of CO & never received. No one answers a phone. What do I do to make tax deadline in 2 days without this information?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
RayW7
Expert Alumni

I did not receive a 1099g for federal & state unemployement in 2020. I requested one from CO in March and still haven't received & not on my state UI portal. What do I do

You can connect with your State's Unemployment Office and tell them you need your 1099-G to file your taxes.  If you filed for unemployment through the state using an Online Account, you should be able to log into your unemployment account and retrieve the form without contacting them.

If you're eligible, you should exclude up to $10,200 of your unemployment compensation from income on your 2020 Form 1040, 1040-SR, or 1040-NR. This means up to $10,200 of unemployment compensation is not taxable on your 2020 tax return. Unemployment compensation amounts over $10,200 are still taxable.  This could  have a large impact on your tax liability or refund.

If you can not get the information prior to the filing deadline then you may want to file an extension.  Keep in mind the extension is for filing not for the payment of taxes owed. 

-follow this link for additional information-

How Do I Get an Extension on Taxes? - TurboTax Tax Tips ...

Thanks, Ray. Yes, I've contacted my State labor office but everything is automated & they can schedule a call back to me on May 28th; which is too late for the 17th deadline. My UI portal through the CO state does not have my 1099G in my account & looks like many thousands of others didn't receive their 1099G either. I requested a duplicate through their portal in early March & still never received it. Was wondering how to file before the 17th without that form because I will not get one any time soon apparently. 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

You may not have a choice but to extend as suggested by RayW7 above.

Your return will not be complete without that 1099-G form.  Although some of it may be nontaxable, it should be reported to ensure your return is complete and accurate when filed.

You can also try to log into your MyUI+ page and request a duplicate copy.

Please see the link below for more information on 1099-G forms issued by the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment.  You will see the link to request a duplicate 1099-G under the section titled Frequently Asked Questions.

CO Dept. of Labor & Employment

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks, Mark. Yes, as I said, I had been on that site and requested one already back in March. I will obviously need to request it again. There is no 1099 form attached to my UI portal & cannot be requested through the account portal. 

I suppose I will need to file for extension, as you & Ray have suggested until that form can be sent to me. 

Thanks again!

This is the response given on that CO labor website when another form is requested: 

Thank you for your request. We will be printing and mailing replacement 1099 forms in the coming weeks.

Unfortunately, no one is receiving these forms 'in the coming weeks.'

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies